Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

next bike

eclipser2001
09-22-2007, 02:25 AM
I rode a 2002 Kawi. ZX6R for about 2 years, now I'm looking for a new bike. 600 or a liter bike. Perferably a liter. I can't decide between a GSXR grand, zx10r, r1, cbr 1000, or a 999 or a 1098 (not as practical though). It's late and I'm sure mose of the words are spelled wrong, sry about that.

rubix777
09-22-2007, 03:01 AM
the R1 looks pretty nice. depends on your height of course. since I'm shorter, I'd choose the gsxr 1000. If you're tall enough, the R1 would be my choice.

eclipser2001
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
The new R1's or the older ones rubix777?? The Marine Corps sending me to Japan so I'll have some money saved up.

rubix777
09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
The new R1's or the older ones rubix777?? The Marine Corps sending me to Japan so I'll have some money saved up.

I wouldn't get a brand new R1 unless you are thinking of keeping it for longer than 3 years otherwise you'll take a hit on the resale value.

Of course everything depends on your budget. I generally prefer brand new because if there is any abusing on the bike, I'd want to know it.

You'll be able to get a used '06 R1 for under $8k and under 2k miles like this one http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/429182272.html.

The gsxr 1000's are about that price too. I'd choose between a Kawi ZX-10R and a Yamaha R1

aussieidiot
09-23-2007, 04:05 AM
WARNING: this post may sound negative buts its not.

this must be the second most asked question after "i'm new what should i ride"

by now any newbie who's thinking of upgrading to a litre bike should be able to make up thier own mind or at least come down to two bikes. if they still don't know then your not ready to upgrade to a full sports weapon.

may sound harsh but these are my thoughts on it.

you have riding experience so you know how you ride.
1) more commuting
2)more weekend touring
3) weekend full on blasts
4)track work
5) cruising
6) posing
7) two up riding

or any combo or the above.

if you have a 1, 2, 5 or a 7 in your answer then rethink a sports weapon. not practicle. try a cbr1100xx or zx12r or zx9r

even if a sports weapon is your choice then ask yourself, do i need a litre bike?

if not, a 750 is more than enough bike for average people.
a current GSXR750 has the same power to weight as my '03 954.

and think about physical size. anyone under 6 foot should think hard about a litre bike if they are an average rider. they are getting smaller but they need to be manhandled around to be ridden..... sorry Speeddiva..... person handled.

i ride a 954 because i came from a 750. price was right and size was good. i commute, blast (usually blasting while commuting) track days and two up but mostly posing.

speediva
09-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Again, not to make this come off as a negative...

There are VERY few people on the face of the planet at this very moment that can truly unleash the full potential of a 600cc bike. That said, do you REALLY need the upgrade, or are you just looking for a shiny new toy?

richtazz
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Aussie and Speediva make great points. Again as Aussie asked, how do you ride? If you love the twisties, and don't ride for long periods, a full-on liter-class canyon carver may be for you. If not, consider the Honda CBR and Kawi ZX, as both are stupid straight-line fast and as comfortable as many so-called touring bikes. As speed said, most people aren't capable of wringing out the full potential of a new 600cc sportbike, so do you really need a liter-class full-on sportbike?

rubix777
09-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I agree with all that's said above with the intent of upgrading. If it's just the rush from accelerating on the straights, maybe the literbike will work. I can't say you won't get used to the rush. I think most people who want to upgrade do so because they want more power on the top end--like for acceleration above freeway speeds. I believe the majority of the reason for upgrading is for faster acceleration in the straights. I don't see many people around here carving with their 600s as that is more impressive than simply accelerating going straight. The rush from cornering is far more exhilarating than from straights.

I personally wouldn't get a liter bike or even a 750 because it's just not practical on the street--at least not where I live. Way too crowded and you never know when some nut driver is going to cut you off.

On a track, the liter bike might be nice to ride, but isn't the fastest sport bike in the twisties a 600cc?

Add your comment to this topic!