Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What was your first model?

JE123
09-21-2001, 04:04 PM
My first one was a SnapTite Chevrolet Corvette. My first glue model was a Mustang Mach 3. My Mustang came out alright because my dad helped me.

S Brake
09-21-2001, 04:06 PM
I honestly don't remeber, i was 9 years old and my brother gave it to me for my birthday. all i know is that it was red and it fell apart after a few years...:rolleyes:

Guiddy
09-21-2001, 04:19 PM
Yeah, too long ago!

I used to make planes at Sunday school, I guess that gave me the bug!
I remember making a British Airways 727 with my Dad too, I must have been about 5 then!

First car I recall was a Porsche 928 bought with my pocket money!
I built it straight out the box, then tried painting it later!:eek:

I don't want to even think about that!:rolleyes:

Jay!
09-21-2001, 04:26 PM
Into the way-back machine:

First model kit ever: Snap-tite space shuttle. I was about 6. Turned out crappy. :(

First model kit in "modern times": Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Runabout. About 8 years ago. Turned out decent because the guy at the shop told me to use a spray can for the base and acrylics for the details. Works good. I still do it that way when I can. ;)

First kit of current automotive enthusiasm: Tamiya Honda S2000. :D :rolleyes: I've had it for about two years but...

Guiddy
09-21-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Silver S2000
First kit of current automotive enthusiasm: Tamiya Honda S2000. :D :rolleyes: I've had it for about two years but...

Do you want this windshield or not???:rolleyes:

Jay!
09-21-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy
Do you want this windshield or not???:rolleyes: LOL! Yes, thanks. I'll email you this weekend. :D

MercCougarXR7
09-21-2001, 07:27 PM
First model was a Ju87 Stutka, in 1/48 scale. Never painted it, and it turned out all right, for an 8 year old... My first serious model was a 1/72 FA-18 Hornet, and I did that at about age 14. I've long since scrapped that, and all I have left are the missiles :).

P10DET
09-21-2001, 10:55 PM
First car model (did lots of planes and tanks before that) was about 32 years ago..... :eek:

Gas Rhonda's long nose Mustang funny car by AMT. It even came with a 45 rpm record pressed on thin vinyl over cardboard. It had a converstaion with Gas Rhonda and a recording of the car. :D

ales
09-22-2001, 12:44 AM
Why George, fancy meeting you here! :)

I also used to make planes, ships, and submarines in my childhood. The ones I did not try to paint turned out OK :)

Modern times - Ferrari F310B. Don't ask about the second one :(

primera man
09-22-2001, 05:54 AM
My very first model was (cant remember the name) a kit my Monagram years ago.
It was a orange hotrod...shape was a bit like a old stage coach..funny looking thing....T-Bucket type thing

Help me on this one guys...this will bother me to i find a pic of it now....damn !!

Built a few cars/boats/trucks/planes....but i had them all at my parents house and they where broken into and some fucken arsehole smashed/jumped all over the ones they didnt take.
I was gutted for months after that and never done anything for years untill i started over again when Tamiya released the kit below and i started again.
So the pic below is my first since i started again

josedi
09-29-2001, 07:10 AM
My first model was a black Chevy S10 i got at Kmart for like 5 bucks, it was a Intermediate skill, It actually came out pretty good, then i dropped it in the backyard while i was repainting it and it broke..hahahaha..

Chris
09-29-2001, 10:27 AM
Early 90's mustang, but that was mainly my dad. My personal first was a 1996 corvette coupe (it was actually a 97 model, bu the kit was old, and thought it would be out for 1996). I now have almost 30 completed models:)

Twist
09-29-2001, 10:32 AM
Mistubishi Lancer Evolution VI Rally Edition 1999 Canberra Winner

Speaking of which... i'm buying the rest of the supplies for it today (including spray paint). I'll scan the instructions and also take pics of the actual kit. with any luck, i'll strat today.

genX
09-29-2001, 10:50 AM
First kit is the one I'm working on now, Tamiya CLK-GTR Warsteiner
Its been 3 weeks and i just finished the chassis. Working on the body now:eek:

Heep
09-29-2001, 11:07 AM
First model ever was a snap tite Corvette, it was a 70's Stingray and the body was gold-plated. I was about 5 then, it turned out awesome. But my first "glue & paint" model was an old '60's Ford Falcon. Oh geez did that ever turn out bad. It's still sitting in the basement...the back axle is broken, the front wheel fell off, the front bumper and grill both fell off, and the body is only half painted (ugh! :)). Anyways, that was a long time ago, this Renault 5 Turbo that I'm working on now is my first in about 9 years or so. It's still an amateur build, no where near as good as Guiddy's or PM's, but it's turning out half decent. :)

S Brake
09-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Heep
no where near as good as Guiddy's or PM's, but it's turning out half decent. :) Mine too!

Chris
09-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Some of the people here are awesome at modeling, making their own bumbers and stuff like that. Geez:licker:

JE123
09-29-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Some of the people here are awesome at modeling, making their own bumbers and stuff like that. Geez:licker:

I amazed by what people can do to a model car. I have a hard enough time following the directions.

Heep
09-29-2001, 05:00 PM
LOL, me too. I think it's mostly my attitude. "I don't need to do that!!" :D:D

Chris
09-30-2001, 05:45 PM
I have made a multi-coloured Lamborghini, with all the interior and engine bits painted different colours. Its really nice (too bad the exterior is brush painted). Thats about it.

primera man
10-01-2001, 03:52 AM
I still haven't found the name or pic of the first one i ever done....and it's still pissing me off :mad: :mad:

CRX_SOON
12-14-2001, 02:26 PM
My very first model was a VERY small ship model of the USS San Deigo. I still have it on the top of my bookbace it looks like shit but it reminds me of my late grandfather.

Rich
12-14-2001, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Heep
It's still an amateur build, no where near as good as Guiddy's or PM's, but it's turning out half decent. :)

All my kits are "amateur builds" in comparison to Guiddy's or PM's. They have there problems, but still look great to me and are a nice piece of eye-candy. I enjoy doing custom touch's to my kits.

On topic tho, my first kit was a P-38 Lightning. I still have it but its fell a few times and is looking pretty busted up now. My first adventure into car modelling was a 69 Mustang that turned out poor because of the paint.

G-Forces
12-14-2001, 02:50 PM
Wow this thread got dug out of the trash! :D

I don't remember my very first but I was into military modles big time when I was young. I had a beautiful WWII Messershmits BF-109E that I actually did a pretty good job on. Even got the nice motteling on the side. I think my first was some sort of vietnam era APC.

My first car was a convertible 5.0 fox body mustang.

I've since junked all my old models, however I wish I would have kept the Messershmitt and restored it. :(

Jay!
12-14-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by G-Forces
Wow this thread got dug out of the trash! :DLOL! There's no trash in my forum! :p

DavidG
12-14-2001, 06:34 PM
my first car was a tamiya Castrol-Mugen NSX it is an electric but the color and decals are awesome...

my second was a HPI Super Nitro C5-R, then i changed the boddy to a lambo diablo, later to a Porsche 911Turbo

anyways i got so, many now i dont know where some bodies are at one time........

D16 V-TEC
12-14-2001, 06:57 PM
First (and only) model to date is Revell Integra Type R! I'm going to do another one and do it right this time :D

awaken1973
12-14-2001, 08:45 PM
My first models were 1/43 and I had about 35 of them
There was also couple of glued 1/24 built by my father
It was long ago when I was in 8-10 age
Then I switched on glued airplane models.
Just recently I turned my attention to big scale
models. First big scale was 1:18 Porsche 911 (bburago)
and first glued model was 1:24 Mazda RX7

turbos86
12-14-2001, 10:00 PM
Okok, my first model was a Monogram Porsche 911 Turbo Flat nose convertable...It seem like something rare to me when I was like...10? can't remember. I mixed Testor red and blue paints to *brush paint* it purple...oh gosh...was put together with white glue (like krstal klear), it was the only glue I had back then. I snap the windshield in two while building it:( Like 2 years ago, my grandma somehow, accidentally knock the porsche off the shelf and it fell into a million pieces...I glued it back and it still looks the same as the day i build it......i mean, it looks like crap..:bloated:

MEEEMMMMOOORRRRIEESSSSSS

Macka
12-15-2001, 10:53 AM
My first one (not including various kits ruined and smashed in frustration as a child) is the one I'm doing right now, it's a 69 Camaro.

And wouldn't ya know it, I just ordered a digital camera...when I get it Ill dig up the thread and post some piccies for you (I need your critique!!!)

:flash:

Murco
01-21-2002, 12:39 AM
My first was an original issue MPC 1970.5 Corvette Stingray (dating myself here!). My mother helped paint it a green metal-flake color and i remember being fascinated by the functional front suspention and steering. A couple of years ago I found a duplicate kit on E-bay and spent HUGE money to buy it. Why did Mom have me start with a future collectable!!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/93349770vette.jpg

modelfan1
01-21-2002, 09:31 AM
Well as far as I can recollect it was a Revell 1/48 '56 Ford pickup that came with a H/D police motorcyle (when it was issued in '58) I must have built 5 or 6 every way I could think of modifying it
Mike

Jimster
01-23-2002, 12:18 AM
My first model was my Toyota Celica VII, which still looks good and an R33 Skyline that I screwed up

dustym
01-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Where do I go to get the newbie bashing? j/k. Since I am new here I thought that this would be a good place to start. My first kit that I did by myself was the Dodge Deora. I must have been around 10 years old and it was around the early 70's. I remember getting glue on the windsheild so I painted all the glass silver to represent tinted windows. I have improved alot since then, and I just bought the release of that model to try to do a better job.
primera man, maybe the kit was Tijuana Taxi?

Jay!
01-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by dustym
Where do I go to get the newbie bashing? j/k.How's this?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=169116

4x4 Cactus
01-26-2002, 06:53 AM
I know my first car model was a porsche boxter.... turned out pretty bad. Though my first model ever was a C130 gun ship( never knew wat happen to it..):(

Atariallstar
01-26-2002, 08:54 PM
my first one was a 57 bel air snap tite from Revell-monogram. back when i was like 6. all i could say is the ride home it was already built....forget teh paint...my mom woulda cut me if i got testors on the seats...haha. my current models now are 2 hasegawa civic hatches...the vti and the sir, and the one im workin on right now and prolly wont be done with for some time is my s2000 hardtop from tamiya. wish me luck. im gettin as many pointers and tips as i can from everywhere.

turbos86
01-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Atariallstar
INITIAL D RULES!

YOU BET:D

Add your comment to this topic!