Page updated on 09-26-2017

driveshaft

kb3jhp
09-21-2007, 12:13 AM
my truck is a 98 gmc sonoma i have a bad vibration and i think its comeing from the drive shaft someone had replaced the rear u joint and i dont think they marked the drive shaft whene they changed it and put it on out of phase is there a oem marking to show the corect way it goes on ther is only two ways it can

mike2004tct
09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
my truck is a 98 gmc sonoma i have a bad vibration and i think its comeing from the drive shaft someone had replaced the rear u joint and i dont think they marked the drive shaft whene they changed it and put it on out of phase is there a oem marking to show the corect way it goes on ther is only two ways it can

What do you mean by out of phase. If you mean front installed to the rear, that shouldn't make any difference.

The U-joints only go on one way. There is no phasing when installing them.

There are weights welded onto the shaft to balance them, and perhaps a weight was knocked off when pounding on the u-joints.

Take the shaft to a repair shop for balancing. They'll remove the joints and re-balance the shaft.

MT-2500
09-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Is this the 2 piece drive shaft with the 2 double type type joints?
Has it been lowered or raised?

old_master
09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
GM shop manual tells you to mark the two yokes when removing the driveshaft so it goes back in the same way. No, there are no marks from the factory. Try rotating the shaft 180 degrees.

Add your comment to this topic!