dash indicater says in Nuetral but I am actually in Drive

Jasminebryon
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
:banghead: I have a 2002 Isuzo rodeo sport (amigo by another name). It is a v-6 3.2 .
2 months ago I had to have the tranny rebuilt and ever since then I have had a issue with the dash indicater light saying that I am in nuetral but I am in fact in drive. It only happens every once in awhile and usually only in the morning and if I turn the truck off and re-start it will usually correct itself.Up till recently their has been no affect on how the truck runs but within the last couple weeks it has started to shift very hard when this happens and down shifts even harder. I have been asking around and have been told to replace the "shift selector" and it will be around 5 hundred or so to replace it. Before dropping that kind of money I wanted to find out if that in fact would cause that kind of problem and if their may be a easier cheaper fix out their.

ww2dodgenut
11-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi,

If you go to www.planetisuzu.com (http://www.planetisuzu.com) and go to the FAQ's you will see how to take off the range sensor, clean it out, clean the contacts, and use a light coat of dielectric grease. I had the same problem with my 99 amigo.

Scott

ww2dodgewc@verizon.net

trooperbc
12-01-2007, 02:06 AM
yes it's the typical symptoms of the range sensor, or also called the mode switch. be aware, that the r/r,clean&regrease often works, but not always, so you may need a new one if it doesn't work for you, but it's lots less than $500 parts and labor, and you can do the install yourself.

for the clean etc route, paying someone to do that maybe is not a good tradeoff paying that labor, over installing a new one.

however, since you say this problem started immediately after the trans rebuild, sounds like a good bet the trans rebuilder didn't adjust it correctly when it was reinstalled, or even maybe the two little attachment bolts weren't tightned down, allowing it to rotate out of adjustment even further.

//bc

Jasminebryon
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I have already fixed it though. We ended up taking it apart cleaned and re-greased it and so far so good it has been over a month with no incident ( with that). And to clarify I was wrong I was calling it a shift selector it is actually called a range sensor. :iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!