Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Bonneville stalls with no codes

G Van Wingerden
09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I have a base model '95 Bonneville SE that stalls at odd intervals... 30 seconds one time 30 minutes the next. Most of the time the engine will start right back up, while a few times it will crank for a long time before starting.

When the engine stalls, it dies as if the key had been turned off... like an electrical disconnect and not as if it is running out of fuel.

Vehicle does not have remote key entry, nor does it have pass-key theft deterent system from the factory, and the aftermarket remote entry/alarm system has been disconnected. It does have power locks and power windows.

I've checked for codes and there are none.

Checked and cleaned the buss grounds by the left side and right side doors. No effect.

Cleaned the engine compartment body grounds. No effect.

Checked battery terminals for corrosion. None.

Replaced the crank sensor. No effect.

Replaced the Ignition Control Module. No effect.

I disconnected the Pass-key Decoder module connector and it had no effect at all... engine started and ran as usual (until it quits on its own after 30 seconds to 30 minutes).

Engine appears to lose spark and the injectors do not appear to continue to fire during engine winddown after stall (no black smoke on restart out tailpipe).

Fuel pressure stays at 42-45 psi even after stall.

Sometimes the fuel pump relay, cooling fan relay and cluster lights "cycle" on and off at approx a 10 Hz rate when the engine stalls.

Any help or insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

maxwedge
09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I'd check the harness form th cps to the icm for chaffs or breaks, also check for power at the the pink wire at the icm connector, of course if it starts right back up this is difficult.

Add your comment to this topic!