Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil leak

jtorr2
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I just bought this car about a month a ago and i developed a oil leak 2 weeks ago i called down to the dealership and asked what kind of oil to use and they told me that they used 10w-30 so that is what i have been filling it with. then i found out that i is supposed to have 20w-50 would the change in oil cause a leak. the leak looks like it is to small to be a gasket problem.

lincolnmaster80
09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, 10w30 is a good oil to use. I use 15w40 personally, but would use a 10w30 in it too. 20w50 is a bit too high for winter starting, so I would stick to 10w30 as anything much thicker will not work properly in our cars.

AND DO NOT USE A SYNTHETIC OR A SEMI-SYNTHETIC OIL. The only synthetic oil the BMW manual suggests to use for our cars is in the rear differential (Castrol SAF-XO). The manual states that you can use special oils (synthetics are special oils) only if you need to but to replace the oil AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! I have done a lot of research into oils and have no good reason to use synthetic oils, and when reasons are given, all I'm given are the marketting lines (it lasts longer and protects your engine, etc, etc) and not any chemical composition or scientific reasons.

As well, where is the oil leak coming from? Also, what year and model do you have?

jtorr2
09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I have a 88 735i and after looking at it more and more it looks like it is on the driver side but the funny thing is that it looks like the leak is actually from above the pan there are oil stains around the starter and a few smal pools on the up side of the pan flange.

Bear
09-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I believe your car (my '88 750 did) has an upper and lower pan with gaskets on each. My upper pan gasket was leaking and it was a bear to replace.

eagle735
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
if you still have the oil leak, go and check your oil pressure sensor. just pass your fingers around it and you will know.

i hope i am not too late.

jtorr2
10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
never thought about that but will give it a try

Add your comment to this topic!