2004 impala speedometer problems

mlentz
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
With my 2004 impala the speedometer will work fine after driving for about 20 minutes. Then it will go way up to 110 and back down to 60 then stick at like 70 until I pull over and turn the key off and on enough for it to go back to zero. Sometimes this will fix it for a while and sometimes it won't. Any ideas?

higgsboson02
09-19-2007, 05:41 PM
The problem with your speedometer may be a bad electronic cluster in your gauges. Had a similar problem with the oil and temp levels. If under warrenty, take it to the dealer and should be covered for the replacement part. Part may be order directly from Chevrolet. If not covered, parts and labor will run you around 300.

redly1
09-27-2007, 08:29 PM
If you're not picky about which display you get (i.e base model w/no tach) you can get an instrument cluster for ~$50 off ebay

search "impala cluster"

samahi72
11-15-2007, 01:21 PM
let me know what you did to fix yours. My father in laws 2004 is doing the exact same thing. Out of warranty of course and GM won't do a thing, and they wonder why people are buying foreign.

Iflylow
11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
These cluster problems are very common. Email a guy named BBEngineer@comcast.net. He rebuilds and modifies clusters, and can get you one fairly cheap. By the way, here is how to get your cluster out:http://impalahq.naioa.com/ Look under "How To:" and then "How to remove the instrument cluster trim plate"
If you buy a cluster off ebay, be aware that it will not display the correct mileage. Mileage is stored on the cluster itself, and the cluster must be taken apart to reprogram it. Also, just because a cluster will fit in your car does not mean it will work right. Some years and models will only work with certain other years and models.

Tom-ADC
11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
We had the same problem with our 2004 not only the speedometer but all the gages went wild. I was able to get it repaired under a "Good Will Warranty repair" the actual cost would have been $562 for a exchange cluster. Dealer tells me problem is very common with the trucks but not as bad with the cars.
I figure I got lucky getting it fixed this way. Good luck:thumbsup:

chevyp2p
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I had the same problem in my car. I found a website where I had my cluster rebuild for $140. That's a lot cheaper than the $750 that the dealer wanted to replace the speedometer.
Here is the address incase you wanna check it out:
www.speedometergaugerepair.com

denco
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
My 2004 has the same intermittent speedometer problem.
I want to repair it now, but remember reading somewhere that if you remove the cluster, the car may not run.
Can you drive it with cluster removed?

HeMi101
08-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes you can drive the car without it.

Dave_R
09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Another thing to check is to make sure the alternator connections are tight, along with the battery connections (sepecially the GROUND for the battery).
On my Lumina (Similar to the Impala) I had a bad ground connection on the battery cable.
This caused a LOT of AC ripple from the alternator to affect the speedometer pulses from the speed sensor. This "fooled" the speedometer by displaying erratically high speeds (it would jump up between max and around 60 MPH when barely moving).

Cleaning up the ground connections for the battery cables fixed it.

----Just a thought of another possibility

SierraK1500
09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
OK Folks heres the deal and the fix for your car.

Several previous posters all hit the problem. BUT This is the fix.

I have a 2005 Impala that had the same bad speedo. I turned the key off and on several times to get it back to zero.

There is a servo motor in the cluster. This motor runs on impulses from the
unit on the Transmission and a few other places in the car. The bearings in the servo motor DO AND THEY WILL GO BAD. There is no ready available solution for these bearings in the motor but to replace the entire cluster.

If you get a USED cluster from a junk yard it will not have the same mileage as the one in your car. It must be reprogrammed with the current mileage. Make sure you get a cluster from the year your car was made to insure that it will work and fit properly. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!!!

If you go to a DEALER look to spend 500.00 to replace it. I have had it replaced with a new one.

In any case if you replace the cluster and all the connections are made and the unit is reinstalled in the dash, reconnect the battery and leave the key ON for 20-30 minutes. Try to start the car. The security light may come on and the vehicle will not crank. If the car does not start after you tried to reprogram the new cluster and the BCM do it again. It should start after.

If you have a Garmin or other GPS device with a speedo attached, your speedo cluster you installed should be accurate, or +- 1 mph.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a personal message.

John
:2cents:

shadetreewannabe
10-17-2009, 01:24 PM
I had the same problem on my 2004 impala ss.I ordered the new servos off ebay and soldered them in it is not very hard.That was 2yrs ago at 39000 miles now at 62000 no problems.Do not put a used cluster in or you will have the same problem,GM had a bad batch of servos.

denco
10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem on my 2004 impala ss.I ordered the new servos off ebay and soldered them in it is not very hard.
Is their a part number on the servos?
If I could order the servos, I would have no problem with desoldering and replacement.
Do they have to be calibrated?

shadetreewannabe
12-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I dont get on the computer much sorry.the bad ones are xc5.168 the replacements are x25.168. I did not calibrate mine I just put all of the pointers on zero then installed them at zero or empty etc.My gps says I am dead on with the speedo.the pointers are pressed on a round shaft so turn the stepper motor counterclockwise before installing them ,then install the pointers a little offset clockwise and them spin them counterclockwise to the stop or to zero.then you will know the stepper motor is at the start and not in the middle of its sweep.

Gman2007
12-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I had the same problem with mine, found out it wasn't my speedometer or anything with the instrument cluster. Went out to dealership and they checked the car out, told me it was my TSS, I replaced that last week, have not had a problem since. 2005 Impala 3400

jallen8
04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
2004 Impala speedometer problem:
Mine has 44K mi. Last week ,a mile out of my driveway and going about 20mph, my speedo was reading out maximum (over 120mph). Breaking didn't help, when I turned off the car I noticed it dropped about 10mph, so I turned the car on and off about 10 times to get it to read 0mph.
About two hours later I drove it to the dealer, and the speedometer worked OK. They said I needed a new instrument cluster, which they had to order. It was over a weekend, and in the meantime my speedometer had no issues. About $450 and a hour at the dealer a second time, I have the new part. Thought I'd share.

jallen8
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh and I found this on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Instrument_Cluster_Settlement#Vehicles_covered_ .28made_2003_to_2005.29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Instrument_Cluster_Settlement#Vehicles_covered_ .28made_2003_to_2005.29)
note that 2004 Impala (or any Impala) is on the list at this time.

denco
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Oh and I found this on Wikipedia:
2004 Impala (or any Impala) is on the list at this time.

Is not on the list.
Too bad for us!

denco
04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
jallen8,
Did you keep your old cluster?

jallen8
04-10-2010, 02:41 PM
sorry in my above post that i left out the "not".
Impala is NOT on the list.

I didn't get my old cluster, it was not offered to me by the dealer (plus I don't know what I would have done with it). i do recall seeing "exchange" on the work receipt, so i assume that i got some credit to exchange it for the new part ($255).

SierraK1500
04-11-2010, 10:17 AM
The clusters are refurbished and the mileage reset to "0". The Chevy dealer I took mine to had to have the cluster reprogrammed with the correct mileage.

I now have 124K on the clock and it was done at 82K. About 500.00 to replace.

The bearing in the stepper motor for the speedo display go bad. I had the original same problem as the first poster stated. I am running this car until the wheels fall off.

John

Add your comment to this topic!