Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reliable auto for hip pain

danellh
09-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I admit I am a Honda fan. I had an Accord and she got over 250,000 then a Civic and it got over 200,000. Now I am looking for a new or low mileage older automobile with the same reliability as the above which will also reduce hip point entry pain. Consideration includes not only purchase price and reliability but also cost of maintenance, tires, insurance, etc. A V-6 would be an added plus.

(Is it possible to purchase an after market seat that adjusts?)

I do mostly in town and some highway driving, also Forest Service roads to get to hiking trail heads. Thanks a bunch.

'97ventureowner
09-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I admit I am a Honda fan. I had an Accord and she got over 250,000 then a Civic and it got over 200,000. Now I am looking for a new or low mileage older automobile with the same reliability as the above which will also reduce hip point entry pain. Consideration includes not only purchase price and reliability but also cost of maintenance, tires, insurance, etc. A V-6 would be an added plus.

(Is it possible to purchase an after market seat that adjusts?)

I do mostly in town and some highway driving, also Forest Service roads to get to hiking trail heads. Thanks a bunch.
Hello, and welcome to AF!
There are some vehicles that I'm aware of that are good for individuals in your situation. A quick look reveals that many of these vehicles are marketed towards our aging population as they are the ones who usually experience issues with hip/joint pain and mobility. Many Buick models such as the Century, LeSabre, LaCrosse are good choices. Other choices would be the Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis. My mother-in-law has issues simialr to yours and own a Grand Marquis and says it's easier to get in and out of for her as the area is spacious where one enters the vehicle. The only problem is that these vehicles primarily come with a V8, at least all the ones I've seen do, not sure if a V6 is an option.There are even minivans with a V6 that offer a spacious interior for entering and exiting a vehicle. I will say that there sure are more choices available to you than there was a decade ago and that can be attributed towards increased design for our aging population.
On the concern of an aftermarket seat, I would contact a business in your area that specializes in outfitting vehicles for handicapped individuals. They are very knowledgeable to what is available on the market and the installation of them. You have to be careful as there are Federal safety laws in place that determine what is available due to air bags, seat belts and distances from the steering wheel. These businesses that specialize in modifying vehicles are usually up to date on these laws and what can and cannot work in your situation. Plus if there are any problems,(either with the product or the law) you can go back to them to resolve them.

danellh
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Thank you. I'm currently looking at the Honda Accord or the Toyota RAV 4 as they have better reliability AND height adjustable seats.

Add your comment to this topic!