Page updated on 09-25-2017

96 2dr 4x4 can an idler arm be put on wrong ???

scholzee
09-19-2007, 05:27 AM
My truck needed an idler arm put on to pass safety inspection. The shop did it and now my steering wheel is not horizontal when going straight insyead of --- it is now \. The shop who did the work is no longer in business " surprise" That appears to be the only new part in the front linkage and there are no wrench marks on tie rods or other componenets. The idler arm bolts to the frame and then bends towards the driver side like a small ( L ) it looks like if I reverse ( _l ) it the steering wheel may straighten out. Anyone know the proper way to straighten out a steering wheel ?

laxman21
09-19-2007, 09:23 AM
My truck needed an idler arm put on to pass safety inspection. The shop did it and now my steering wheel is not horizontal when going straight insyead of --- it is now \. The shop who did the work is no longer in business " surprise" That appears to be the only new part in the front linkage and there are no wrench marks on tie rods or other componenets. The idler arm bolts to the frame and then bends towards the driver side like a small ( L ) it looks like if I reverse ( _l ) it the steering wheel may straighten out. Anyone know the proper way to straighten out a steering wheel ?

They closed in a day?

Did you get an alignment after?

scholzee
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
They closed in a day?

Did you get an alignment after?

It was a father son operation and the father suddenly passed away, I heard paper work for the business was only in the fathers name, A sign at the shop says closed and future opening date unknown. With the family preparing for a funeral and probably business paperwork I was not going to bother them with my problem.

I was out of town when the work was done, thats why I just said go ahead and fix it. My wife took my sister inlaw to go get it and she never mentioned about the steering wheel. I noticed when I finally drove it about 1 week after the repair.

I guess I am surprised no one here has ever aligned their S10 themselves. I know what to do and was curious how others did it and any tips.

Thanks

old_master
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
The mounting holes in the idler arm are larger than the attaching bolts. The reason is so the idler arm can be adjusted to keep the center link level when replacing the idler arm. Alignment is not necessary after replacing the idler arm because alignment does not change when replacing it. Front wheel alignment requires an alignment machine, it's not something a DIYer can do at home.

bigmarty51
09-20-2007, 04:20 AM
It sounds crazy, but look under another 96 and see if the mounting is the same?

re. car dealer, friends, or parking lot (with permission) lol.

scholzee
09-20-2007, 04:33 AM
The mounting holes in the idler arm are larger than the attaching bolts. The reason is so the idler arm can be adjusted to keep the center link level when replacing the idler arm. Alignment is not necessary after replacing the idler arm because alignment does not change when replacing it. Front wheel alignment requires an alignment machine, it's not something a DIYer can do at home.

With man hands off the wheel in the center lane of a highway the truck runs perfectly straight, except the steering wheel is not horizontal, its like this \ . All I have to do is make equal turns on the tie rod couples, Passenger/Drivers, making one slightly longer and the other slightly shorter to center the steering wheel. I can make a mark on the front tread of each tire to measure toe in, roll the truck back slighly so the mark is in back and measure again, should have toe in about 1/8 " people who race cars do alignments all the time by themselves, all can be done at home slower and slighlty less accurate than a shop but without all the BS. They always claim suspension to worn and want to replace everything or bent rim etc, I ask for a printout of the numbers before and after and get nothing to hell with alignment shops.

silverblazer
09-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with ya there. The laser aligmnet is nothing more than a fancy tape measure if ya think bout it. Dunno if I would go turning the tie rods just yet though. I just replaced the idler arm on my 95 bout a month ago.

ericn1300
09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
since the idler arm is off center and the tie rods are of unequal lengths an idler arm out of adjustment can pull the steering wheel off center Your mechanic might also have installed the wrong part number for your year which could also move the steering wheel psition. If all that was done was the idler arm than I wouldnt be messing with the alignment until i double checked it

Add your comment to this topic!