Page updated on 11-17-2017

91 sonoma spare tire cable.

bigmarty51
09-19-2007, 05:29 AM
hi everyone,

on my 91 sonoma, the end of the spare tire cable underneath broke off..

is there a fix or do i have to try and find a whole spare tire cable unit?

thx.

Sparky1349
09-21-2007, 11:02 AM
hi everyone,

on my 91 sonoma, the end of the spare tire cable underneath broke off..

is there a fix or do i have to try and find a whole spare tire cable unit?

thx.

Hey,
I went to GM Parts Direct Web site:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

and looked up the lift assembly in the alternate catalog and found it was about $12 + shipping.

If you are bound and determined to fix the one you have take it to the hardware store and ask them for the cable repair stuff, I can't for the life of me remember what you call it but there is a piece you put over the cable and crimp in a vice. The counter guy at the hardware store will know what you need but take the lift assembly because you need to get the correct size.

Good luck,

Sparky

goser
09-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I think sparky is talking about copper or aluminum sleeves for aircraft cable. Technically they should be swaged with a proper tool to ensure a proper crimping. You might also use a saddle clamp or crosby fist grip if you're concerned about getting a secure crimp.

My entire winch was seized so I cut the whole assembly out and bolted a piece of 1/2" threaded rod to the winch mount. You can then cut the nylon piece out of the original tire retainer and slip that over the threaded rod. Finish off with a wingnut and you've got yourself a new spare tire carrier.

Add your comment to this topic!