Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Base model

mf01
11-24-2002, 01:10 PM
I was thinking about ordering a base model. I found one of the dealerships around here that would let me order one. I was wondering what the deal was with no cruise control. That sucks, I was looking online at the difference between the enthusiast and base. The enthusiast has LSD (not a big deal I would use it about 1% of the time), HID, lighted mirrors, and CRUISE CONTROL. The dealer said that I couldn't get cruise control on the base model. That's unheard of these days, especially for a car starting at $26700. Anyone got a base model or possibly thought about putting aftermarket cruise on? I don't like the idea of some out of place aftermarket cruise on my steering column. I might think about the enthusiast now.

350ZMotoring
11-24-2002, 01:49 PM
i think it's worth the price to move up to enthusiast. aside from cruise and LSD, i think you also get traction control..which from my experience is probably desireable in this car if you do any foul weather driving.

but either way, you really cant go wrong. btw, the Boxsters dont come standard with cruise control. :)

MPower2
11-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Base is the SLOWEST of all the models because it doesn't have the LSD and can't put the power to the ground as effectively. Also, easier to spin as it doesn't have VDC (Nissan vehicle dynamic control). Just thought you'd like to know...

350ZMotoring
11-27-2002, 06:13 PM
yup, i dont know if it's the tires or the suspension setup, but the tcs comes on quite often on mine...and this is with an auto! even though the LSD on the 350Z is not the best i still think that and the VDC is definitely worth the upgrade.

Sick TypeS
11-28-2002, 01:32 AM
i heard VDC doesn't do sh!t...can someone explain this to me, and tell me exactly what it does...i think i've been mis-informed...

p.s. i going for the enthusiast because it has all the "necessary stuff"...who needs a tire pressure monitor regulator thing anyway...:D

350ZMotoring
11-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Sick TypeS
i heard VDC doesn't do sh!t...can someone explain this to me, and tell me exactly what it does...i think i've been mis-informed...

p.s. i going for the enthusiast because it has all the "necessary stuff"...who needs a tire pressure monitor regulator thing anyway...:D

the 6spd has both TCS (traction control system) and VDC. The tcs just pull back on the throttle when it detects slip in the rear wheels. the vdc goes one step further and selectively pull back on the throttle AND applies brakes to the necessary wheel to keep the car from excessive understeer/oversteer (from my experience on other cars with stability control, it's most helpful in oversteer situations that you didnt intend).

if you never drive your car near the limit, you will probably never have this come on...well unless youre somewhere whre's there's alot of snow, etc.

i dont have it as i have an auto on the Z but wish it had been available.

Add your comment to this topic!