Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

smoking from exhaust

bertram3370
09-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a 91 chevy blazer s-10, it is smoking badly out of the exhaust. I pulled the spark plugs, and they were covered in a dry sooty carbon build up. I replaced and checked everything externally. No idea where to go from here, without spending alot of money on maybe problems.

taillight
09-16-2007, 10:03 AM
It could be from oil or gas fouling. How many miles ? Start with a fuel pressure guage and test the pressure. Then get a scan tool and check the long and short term fuel trim. This will tell you if it is fuel. After that look for oil problems.

Rick Norwood
09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I have a 91 chevy blazer s-10, it is smoking badly out of the exhaust. I pulled the spark plugs, and they were covered in a dry sooty carbon build up. I replaced and checked everything externally. No idea where to go from here, without spending alot of money on maybe problems.

What color is the smoke? If it is black, it usually means that you are running too rich (too much Gasoline).

If the smoke is white or bluish white, you're burning oil. How is your oil level? Do you have to add a quart very often? Usually oil burning is a result of worn valve guides/seals, but can be rings too.

Add your comment to this topic!