Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

protection mode

PlayStation3
09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
hi, on my pdx 100-4 it has been going into protection mode when it full volume ever since i messed with the equalizer to make more midbass. no last time it did this it was because it was 97 degrees out side and today it was a 94. so is it possable that it is just from the temp of the outside. or could it be from the amp being pushed to hard?

pimprolla112
09-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Probably the heat, when i was at the car show after the DB test my amp was hot and it eventually blew the fuse under the hood, why it didnt blow the fuse in the amp i dont know but it was a little over 100 that day and i was abusing my equipment good, i thought i blew the amp but i got lucky.

PaulD
09-14-2007, 07:27 PM
those pdx amps are supposed to run cool

PlayStation3
09-15-2007, 03:09 AM
well it is not the heat. because after work (3am) it was cool and went into protection mode. according to alpine it could one of the following :Amplifier circuit is abnormal. Anelectrical short has occurred, or supply current is too high, Power supply voltage is too high, Ambient temperature is too high.

i want to say it is the current supply one since it only does it near full volume. but how would i fix that?

PaulD
09-15-2007, 03:16 PM
current supply means it's drawing too much power. Remember that since power = volts X amps, if the voltage sags the current will increase by a like amount to produce the same power. You wll basically have 2 options, turn it down or get a bigger alternator. You may get a little bit more by doing stuff like the big 3 and lowering the resistance on the power wires.

PlayStation3
09-15-2007, 11:14 PM
3 problems. already did big 3 with 1/0, 200 amp alternator, and my power wire for that amp is 1/0. is it possable that it is my ground? it is too late for me to check it now, but also is it possable that it can be the amp itself. well next time it goes into protection mode i won't just turn off the head unit and then turn it back on. that is what is weird is that all i have to do is click eject cd and it will turn off the amps then click put the cd back in and the amp will be fine utill it getts to around to where i set the gains for ( around 3/4 volume)

PaulD
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
what speakers do you have on this amp ?

PlayStation3
09-17-2007, 03:21 AM
alpine type r coaxials/componots. one person said that it might be the clipping and that is causing it to go in protection mode.

Add your comment to this topic!