Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

exhaust question

cashusclay?
09-13-2007, 02:12 AM
my catalytic conveter on my 95 toyota 4 runner was stolen today. To get it replaced will cost me $300 and it won't stop any future thefts. Is there a way to install a replacement pipe that can be removed and replaced by an actual cat come smog time or possible fix it tickets?

denisond3
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
On ebay.com you can see cat. conv. 'test pipes' being sold, to replace catalytic converters; and plenty of inexpensive generic cat. convs that can be welded into an exhaust system, if the thieves left enough of it. Its possible to weld in a straight piece of pipe too. If your vehicle had a downstream oxygen sensor (located after the cat. conv.) , the Check Engine Light would be coming on and staying on, because the missing cat. conv. is needed for the computer to be happy.
But your problem may be legalistic too. I believe its against federal law for any U.S. business that repairs cars to install the 'through pipe' in place of a real catalytic converter. I think its still legal for a private owner to do the work themselves (assuming they dont own an auto repair business). I havent ever had to do it, because the generic cat. conv. replacements sell for as little as $40, and I have an oxy/acet. torch set.
Too bad you are so far from Tijuana, where it doesnt seem to be illegal.

A brother in law of mine had his cat.conv. stolen (sliced out with a torch) from under his Dodge minivan in Columbus Ohio. The minivan was sitting in the front yard of his house on a 1/4th acre lot, while he was asleep inside. He found that no shops were agreeable to welding in a 'through pipe'.

What is a stolen cat. conv. worth anyhow?

Add your comment to this topic!