Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 E38 coolant leak

clemkadiddlehopper
09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
My car has always had coolant problems. Lately, it has started leaking, but only when I turn the engione off. When I start the car, I get a "Check Coolant Level" message. I fill up the overflow tank so the float sits at the top. I can drive all day at any speed, then when I stop the car it stops leaking. Seems like something I had on my Dodge pickup, the wter pump seal shot. Is anyone familiar with this?
Also, if you are, is this somehting a normal hands on person can replace or should I jsut take it in to a mechanic?

Thanks,
Curt

lincolnmaster80
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Is anyone familiar with this?
Also, if you are, is this somehting a normal hands on person can replace or should I jsut take it in to a mechanic?

Thanks,
Curt
I'm not familiar with this, but perhaps I can give you a few pointers on what to look for.

Well, the usual, as you probably know, is look for any puddles on the ground. Look for any wet pots on the engine where coolant hoses are. When you stop your engine, do you smell (albeit) "burnt" coolant? Sometimes these leaks are hidden and a pain to replace. Which leads me to your second question.

Define "normal hands on". If your the do-it-yourselfer (aka DIY'er) and would rather DIY than take it to a mechanic who will play on the fact that it's an import and therefore far more expensive to fix and charge you accordingly, then you can DIY. I've been fixing cars with my dad all my life, so naturally, when something goes wrong with my car, I research how it can be done, what's wrong, and tackle the job myself, regardless of skill level, just because I want to learn how to do it. Anything on any vehicle can be DIY'ed, if you think about it.

But first, a coolant leak can happen anywhere...it's just a matter of finding it, figuring out which hose or seal isn't holding up, and replacing it. Also, you didn't mention which engine you have, so replacing a water pump on a V12 model is a lot harder than on a V8 model...less room to work with in a V12.

If your US, http://www.autohausaz.com . If Canadian, http://www.autopartsonlinecanada.com . If you're neither, then the US site will be better for you, but there might be cheaper parts sources where you live.

Add your comment to this topic!