Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camaro No Start

ffgus
09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a 2000 SS with 21000 miles on it. About 1000 miles ago, it would not start. Not even turn over. Similiar to when the car is in drive, and you try to start it. Battery is good, power windows and radio works and everything.
I had the ignition relay replaced as well as the ignition in the steering column, by a Chevy dealer.
This morning the car did the same thing. I removed and cleaned the starter and ignition relay in the relay block under the hood, and I also wiggled them a bit. After a couple of tries, the car started, and has ever since. I am afraid to take it anywhere for fear I may get stranded. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Gus

taillight
09-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Check and clean your battery cables. Then look at any wire goint the the ignition switch.

maxwedge
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
I am moving this to the Camaro forum.

philly rs
09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
does the security light come on when the car dont start?? if so its the VATS... common problem around here. sometimes it starts sometimes it dont type deal??

ffgus
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, that is what it is...How do I repair/replace/fix this, or is it a dealer only type deal.....

philly rs
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
the dealer wont do it the cheap way we do it lol..they will replace the tumbler inside the ignition area...it ends up costing u a few hundred at the end...or u can find someone if not yourself who can bypass it. many people in here will say get resistors and use them to bypass it, but i say use the chip thats in your key.....if u do a search on this problem in here u will get all the posts and how it can be done...if u cant find it hit me up on a PM and ill see if i can help u. i have been trying ot get the step by step instructions posted on here to help but i havent been able to catch up with the person i know who has done it for both my camaros. ill try again but i know that problem all 2 well..and many others in here as well can put ourselves in those shoes..

ffgus
09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
What about these VATS bypass modules I have seen on eBay for 25 bucks...
Reliable?, Good idea? I had to drag my winter beater out of storage because I cannot rely on my SS to start..
Gus

cardboardpimp420
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
yeah it sounds like its either the VATS or a loose battery connection. 12volt supply is a very low volt system so when you have a weak connection, you may be able to get enough flow to run the lower current things like windows, stereos, guages, but not have enough to pull the 300 amps it takes to run the starter, i would try loosing and wiggling(better to clean)the battery cables and give it a try.

philly rs
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
bad battery connection is true as well..last month i had that problem, my boy didnt put the posayive on tight and it kept having problems not starting lol...then one day we were checking out what could be wrong, he touched the battery and the + came right off lmao...it was classic!! smh. but as for the vats modual thing u are talking about...thats the first i have heard of that, i dont think anyone in here has used that. if they have i never heard them chime in on that. but like i said....2 wires with your chip from out your key soddered (spell??) 2gether and bypassing the tumbler is a free 4ever solving suggestion.

89Firebird2.8
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Has VATS ever actually HELPED?
Oh, and would an 89 firebird v6 have it?

cardboardpimp420
09-14-2007, 09:26 PM
VATS actually kept my friends camaro from being stolen, they busted the steering column but was unable to start the car because of it

ffgus
09-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Does anyone here know if a remote starter installed in my 2000 LS1 Camaro will take care of my VATS problem. Dealer wants 300 bucks plus to repair the VATS problem again, but a installed remote starter is only 150 bucks.

Add your comment to this topic!