Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Noise?

Jmrec100
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
When I have my foot on the brake and shift to Drive or Reverse, Ill sometimes get a hard clunking along with I guess call it a clinking noise. Does it in Reverse and Drive. Everything seems ok when driving normally.
I have a 1999. Can it be low on tranny fluid? Its hard to check because of course no dip stick. But rather have to unscrew the screw on the side, near the exhaust pipe and see if oil level is ok. Whats wrong with the designers on this particular car! Anyway, can't even get the normal oil change people to just service the tranny with changing the fluid.
Its been about 40,000 miles since fluid been changed.
Any suggestions what it could be. Just started.
Thanks

Z24cavalier
09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
When I have my foot on the brake and shift to Drive or Reverse, Ill sometimes get a hard clunking along with I guess call it a clinking noise. Does it in Reverse and Drive. Everything seems ok when driving normally.
I have a 1999. Can it be low on tranny fluid? Its hard to check because of course no dip stick. But rather have to unscrew the screw on the side, near the exhaust pipe and see if oil level is ok. Whats wrong with the designers on this particular car! Anyway, can't even get the normal oil change people to just service the tranny with changing the fluid.
Its been about 40,000 miles since fluid been changed.
Any suggestions what it could be. Just started.
Thanks

im guna guess it needs more transmission fluid because mine did the same thing

but like u said its guna be kinda ard to check it without a dipstick

shakewell
09-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Your motor mounts or trans mounts could be bad. Best way to check is to lightly power brake the engine while someone else watches the movement of the motor mounts. It should be pretty obvious if they are bad. Not sure? Take it to a friend/mechanic that you know. Takes all of 10 sec to diagnose.

z24forlife
09-12-2007, 11:28 PM
How do we even change the transmission fluid on these things...??

Z24cavalier
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Your motor mounts or trans mounts could be bad. Best way to check is to lightly power brake the engine while someone else watches the movement of the motor mounts. It should be pretty obvious if they are bad. Not sure? Take it to a friend/mechanic that you know. Takes all of 10 sec to diagnose.

ive never heard of a car having problems shifting because of bad motor mounts?

bad motor mounts usualy just give you bad torque steer when you accelerate

shakewell
09-13-2007, 06:48 PM
The complaint isn't about shifting problems, it's about a clunking noise when he puts the car into gear with the brake on. A bad motor or trans mount can absolutely cause that.

Oh, and if you think checking the fluid on a cav is a PITA, try a VW or BMW - those engineers either have a bad sense of humor or they were very drunk when they designed those ones.

Z24cavalier
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
The complaint isn't about shifting problems, it's about a clunking noise when he puts the car into gear with the brake on. A bad motor or trans mount can absolutely cause that.

Oh, and if you think checking the fluid on a cav is a PITA, try a VW or BMW - those engineers either have a bad sense of humor or they were very drunk when they designed those ones.

my bad i misread what he was saying

z24forlife
09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry to intrude... but i managed to check to trany oil by un-screwing the drain screw... oil was pissing out.. so the level is fine... The guy also told me that the oil looks pretty clean... but Ill change it soon... next month when i get the cash.. :rolleyes:

Jmrec100
09-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Of all the things, I changed the MOTOR oil and the sound is less? Weird. I let the oil change go a little longer than normal. I went about 3,500 miles instead of the normal 3,000 miles. Doesn't make sense. Probably just coincident. I'll have to jack the car up level like the Haynes manual says and open the check cap at the side. Or I may just change the tranny fluid. How many miles should it go before changing? I put alot of miles on this beast, about 3,000 a month, so it probably is a good idea. Any recommended fluid to run in the tranny6.
Oh for motor oil, Ive used Castrol Semi synthetic 5W-30. Seems just fine.

Add your comment to this topic!