Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High pitch noise regardless of speed

RobinH
09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
My 2003 Vue now has a high pitch squealing noise coming from the front end. There is no noise while idling, but once it gets to about 10 mph it begins to make a high pitch sound that doesn't change at higher speeds...stays pretty consistent. When the car is idling and I rev the engine, there is no noise. Thought maybe it was the tires, but they seem okay. Any ideas out there? Oh yeah, it seems to have started the day after driving in heavy rain, if that could be anything. :screwy: Thank you!

holdemjunkie
09-11-2007, 06:35 PM
When is the last time you got your brakes checked? could be the warning squealer that is attached to the brake pads to let the driver know the pads are getting thin, I would check that first.

RobinH
09-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, I replaced the brake pads, which I needed, thanks!

Unfortunately it didn't get rid of the noise, which sounds like one of those old-time remote controlled airplanes (well, maybe not that loud, but pretty close) or a boat, or a motorcycle... I sat on the passenger side and could feel the floor vibrating under my feet.

:banghead:

holdemjunkie
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
sounds to me u have a wheel bearing gone, is more of a growling noise?? The vues are notorious for bad wheel bearings. You can check the wheel bearing by raising the front of the vehicle so you can turn the front tires freely, next all you do is spin the 1 tire at a time a fast as u can while holding the spring from your front strut just underneath wheel liner, you should feel it vibrating through the spring if the wheel bearing is gone. When jacking up your vehicle, try and jack it from the frame and not the suspension, you will get more clearance to reach in and grab the spring this way.

RobinH
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
We took it to a shop in town and after checking it out and driving it around, they called Saturn. Saturn told them it was a common problem...replace the case(?) and converter. The shop will charge $3400.00, not sure what Saturn will charge.

Add your comment to this topic!