Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram starting hard and stalling

90sabre
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
My 99 Ram 318 started hard last night, cranked a couple times like it was struggling then started and ran fine. Tonight it did the same thing real slow cranking almost like the battery is toast then starts but cut outs immediately, this went on for a few more tries until i just held the idle around 1200 rpm. But as soon as I let off it would die. After about 20 minutes it ran fine. I got home and cleaned the battery terminals and connections which were fairly dirty. The voltage was 14 at idle and alternator connections seemed good. Started right up and ran fine. I've heard the Ram's can do this with a bad battery...could it be this simple or is my starter going?:shakehead
Thanks!

Chris Stewart
09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Bad grounds are the first thing the trouble shooting books say to check. The #1 main ground is the negative battery post so you've probably fixed your problem. If it acts ok the next coupla days, I'd say your problem is fixed.

90sabre
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the response! it seems that was the trouble, it's been ok for a couple days. Do you recommend using any of the terminal "protectant/lubricants"?

thanks again

Chris Stewart
09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the response! it seems that was the trouble, it's been ok for a couple days. Do you recommend using any of the terminal "protectant/lubricants"?

thanks again

Yes, whenever possible.

Add your comment to this topic!