Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cursed PT Cruiser...?

kimrisa
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I love the look and drive of my 2001 PT Cruiser but I've been plagued with one problem after another with this sleek beauty. My primary problems have been dead batteries and flat tires. We recently fixed the dead battery problem (the mechanic said it was a swich problem that was a common ailment in PT cruisers) but from the time I've gotten this car I've had to replace several flat tires. :banghead: Has anyone else experienced problems of this nature? I'm beginning to feel that, although a fun ride, this car has become a money pit and it might be better to just sell it and cut my losses. Do I just happen to have bad luck where this car is concerned or is it possible these PT Cruisers are known for their "kinks? Thanks in advance! :)

yale329
11-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Find another mechanic. You are probably over charging and a diagnostic should have found the problem the first time.
If your rims are aluminum, that is another common problem on all cars if they start to flake or corrode.

autoa
02-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree with the last post. Aluminum rims are most likely the source of your flats. The problem is where the rubber tire seats next to the rim. Any corrosion, pitting or rubber left from previous tires do not allow the tire to press against the rim properly and the result is leaking air.
If the rims appear ok (no pitting or corrosion on the outside) you may want to have the tires removed from the rims and have the mechanic inspect the inside of the rim where the tire presses against it for problems.
Good luck!

derffred
05-13-2008, 10:50 AM
I have a 01 PT as well and I also have had a lot of leaking tires, it is the rims I had one rim crack on the inside which I had repaired to the tune of $200.00 and it still would not hold air, putting it in a water tank you could see that the inside of the rim was seeping ( not near the weld) the rim must of been getting porus.

I bought an aftermarket replica rim and that one is good, thinking afterwards i am going to get a tube for the leaking rim and use that as a spare.

other than that when you have tires that wont hold air have you tireshop go around the bead with a wire brus attachment and coat the bead with a black rubberizing sealer

Add your comment to this topic!