Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny/Coils

buzaggie
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
OK you LS experts, I drive a 2000 LS 3.9 Litre this weekend I received the dreaded transmission error and assumed transmission problem. However, the transmission was rebuilt less that 2 years ago, when I searched the forum for transmission errors, I found that shorting coils could actually cause the transmission error. Here are my questions, if I had a shorting coil shouldn't I be able to feel it when I'm driving. Second, I have a p0795 error (Pressure Control Solenoid "c"). Could this error actually be a false error due to a shorting coil? I know for a fact that the valve cover gaskets have never been replaced. In short, should I assume transmission right away? Thanks for your help.
(By the way, the car feels fine, but when it tries to shift from 3rd to 4th, I get the transmission error and the car stays in 3rd)

shorod
09-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Sounds like your symptoms would indicated a shift solenoid failure, and your code agrees. That being typed, on your V8 the coils are actually quite easy to get to and check. I'd suggest you pull them all and check for symptoms of leaky spark plug well seals. I'd suspect that even it you have a shift solenoid issue, you'd make the investment and fix it, so changing the valve cover gaskets would be worth it anyway if they are leaking.

-Rod

buzaggie
09-17-2007, 09:39 AM
OK, it does appear to be a tranny solenoid pack malfunction. Does anybody know where I can get this part other that the dealer? They want $375.00 and I know they have a huge markup. I've tried fastpartsnetwork.com but it is not available. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

shorod
09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
You may want to try RockAuto.com too, or see if there is a local tranny shop that would sell you the part for less than the dealer.

-Rod

sajohnson1
11-11-2007, 11:59 AM
My 2001 lin ls. "E" light came on AAmco says a solinoid pack was bad $659.00
not the problem now 3rd and 4th gear bad $2900.00 still not right now the speed control bad, back to the shop. So far I have had head gasket problems
coil problems, window peoblems, heat problems ( great vehicle)

S Johnson

shorod
11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Do your ABS brakes work fine? The vehicle speed is derived from the ABS wheel speed sensors. If the vehicle speed is not reading correctly, it will affect the cruise control as well as the way the transmission shifts.

Do you know exactly what code AAMCO pulled from the car? It should have been in the form of P1234.

-Rod

buzaggie
04-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, finally here is the followup. I took the car to a Tranny repair shop convinced the problem was the solenoid pack, especially since Aamco had supposedly rebuilt the tranny less than 2 years earlier. The mechanic agreed with me and replaced the pack at $350. The problem was not resolved and I gave him the go-ahead to tear into the tranny. Low and behold the tranny had to be rebuilt. Mechanic said Aamco definitely tried to rebuilt but did a terrible job and didn't even replace the most common parts to replace. I had the tranny rebuilt for $1800 and the car now drives like a dream. I don't feel too bad since I've read on the forum that tranny rebuilts can cost upwards of $3000! Anyway, good luck to anybody else that faces this problem. Too bad the LS is a mechanical nightmare. I love the car. On a side note, I've now replaced the thermostat on my LS (2000 V8) twice and can do it in 10 minutes. Don't let the dealer charge you $400 for a $13 part and easy D.I.Y. replacement. Thanks!

Buzzy

shorod
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your tranny woes, but thank you for the follow-up!

-Rod

tkswan
04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
From my experience with having trannys re-built ive learned that its best to just buy a rebuilt one. ...NEVER ALLOW SOME ONE TO REMOVE AND REBUILD YOUR TRANSMISSION...

A rebuilt tranny comes banded to a wooden pallot, fully rebuilt, certified, and tested and warranteed for more than 30 days. They cost as much as the job of disassembling and re building yours on the bench. It gets installed as unit so you will pay a little more in labor but the long term is well worth it. At least look into/compare the cost before you let someone disassemble yours on the bench.

In my opinion, tranny rebuilders do not have the expertise to rebuild todays newer more complex computer controlled systems. They do ok on the older less complex cars.

Newer cars will reject a rebuild job thats not tuned correctly. The computer will start making adjustments and compensations that will cause the car to run like krap. The first thing the tranny folks will tell you is that something else on the car is may be causing the tranny problems. Then they will recommend you go get a diagnostic from the dealer(not free).

You end up paying more, they dont have to get you a rental car, you dont move to the front of the repair queue, without your car, wasting lots of time :banghead:(time [is] money).

I swear i've seen it more than once.

...my two cents

buzaggie
04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Those are certainly some good points. The guy that rebuilt mine I have lots on confidence in however. He had done many LS' with much success. He also warrantied for 1 year/3600 miles.

Add your comment to this topic!