Page updated on 11-20-2017

Signal flasher keeps clicking

hiker1
09-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT 4.3 liter 4 speed auto with power everything and it has a trailer hitch with a universal plug, the problem is the signal combination flasher keeps clicking when the signal switch returns to the neutral position or when you turn on/off the 4 ways. You can hear it clicking and there are no lights flashing anywhere. Sometimes it flashes continually, other times it will click a few times and stop. When you use the flasher it will click for almost a minute…stop and then click sporadically. As soon as you apply the breaks it will stop and remain that way until you take your foot off the break pedal. I have replaced the signal relay and checked all of the connections and everything is ok. All of the fuses are good and everything is working fine no glitches. Is this a common problem?

taillight
09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Sounds like you hace a short in either the 4 way flasher or turn signal switch.

hiker1
09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Is there a possibillity that it may me the brake light stop switch? As I said it stops clicking when the brakes are applied. this is the first time this problem has occured.

ericn1300
09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Is there a possibillity that it may me the brake light stop switch? As I said it stops clicking when the brakes are applied. this is the first time this problem has occured.
check your hazzard lights switch, the brake light switch overides the hazzard light circuit

mdrush
09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
I've had the same problem on my 98 LT for years now...tried a new flasher relay, tested the brake switch all to no avail. Over time I've noticed it happen more consistently when the air humidity increases.

I rember reading on this forum that this is a know issue with the multi-function signal switch...apparently grease eventually drips down into the column and causes a low voltage short that triggers the relay but not the lamps. Solution was if i recall to replace or clean the multi-function switch at the base...requires removing it from the steering column..doesn't bother me enough to go to all that work.

hiker1
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
If this is such a known issue, then you would think that the local parts supply store would know how to fix it or at least the dealership would know...LOL. There is not even a heavy duty relay that I can buy, to try and see if that will solve the problem. :banghead:

blazee
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I've had the same problem on my 98 LT for years now...tried a new flasher relay, tested the brake switch all to no avail. Over time I've noticed it happen more consistently when the air humidity increases.

I rember reading on this forum that this is a know issue with the multi-function signal switch...apparently grease eventually drips down into the column and causes a low voltage short that triggers the relay but not the lamps. Solution was if i recall to replace or clean the multi-function switch at the base...requires removing it from the steering column..doesn't bother me enough to go to all that work.:thumbsup: That's correct.

Correcting the problem isn't all that hard. It's pretty straight forwad, and can be done in about an hour.

Add your comment to this topic!