Page updated on 09-26-2017

master cylinder went dry - how do I bleed?

mixin
09-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Funny story, was inpsecting my rear diff prior to servicing when I noticed that my rear brake lines were pretty rusty. "I should probably change those" I thought. Well, after unbolting them from the diff cover, one cracked (I didnt notice) and sprayed brake fluid all over the driveway when I was bleeding my front calipers! Needless to say the front part of the master cylinder fluid resevoir went dry...

So my question, after I replace the rear lines how do I go about bleeding the system since I might have air in my master cylinder etc. Also, are pre bent line available? or do I have to bend my own - any ideas or tips? FYI, I also have a mity vac and a vacuum tank to pull fluid into (big help when bleeding). Thanks so much for your quick responses - I HAVE to get this thing on the road tonight!

Mike-Grand Rapids, MI
1996 Blazer 4wd

MT-2500
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
You can check the dealer but I dought if you can get the pre bent lines.
But sometimes they do come in a set with fuel line assembley.
Just go to a good parts place and get the made up steel lines in the right length and bend to fit.
They make tubing benders to help put the curves in the lines.

On bleeding go ahead and try bleeding it and see what it does.
If the antilock systems gets air in it it may need a ABS capable scanner to bleed the ABS system.
MT

mixin
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks! I got called out to a job all nite last nite, but got some 30" premade straight lines that I will have to bend myself with my new tubing bender! I called dealer parts dept, he said they can only get rolls of line that they have to flare and put ends on - YUK! SO, they get theirs premade from Napa and bend themselves - I will too! Thanks again! - Mike

MT-2500
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
10-4 on the premade straight lines already made up.
A little bending and they will get the job done.
Plarts places usually have them in up to 60 in. long and with all different ends.
Also they have adapters for different ends.
Good luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!