Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Buick PA Ultra Smooth Idler Removal Help Needed

58Buick
09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
My #9 idler pulley bearing froze and destroyed the belt and pulley.
It looks like the entire engine mount needs to be removed to replace the #9 idler pulley. The two front nuts and studs and the two top engine mount nuts are accessible, but there does not seem to be an easy way to remove the rear nut and stud. I can barely even feel the nut and stud on the third leg. What do I need to do to replace that pulley? Does the idler pulley base mount remove, or is it integral to the engine? I can't tell.

Thanks for your help,
-=Steve=-

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/3800.jpg

HotZ28
09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I am sure before you complete this pulley replacement, you will agree that the engineering co-op student that designed the front mount assembly, should be awarded for his effort, with a one way ticket to Baghdad!

The lower “dog-bone” mount is slotted and the bolts are accessible from underneath. You only need to be loosen the bolts about two turns and the lower bracket assembly will lift up and out. Now that was easy, the hard part is next! The front bracket needs to be removed to gain access to the pulley bolt. You have three bolts holding the bracket on. One is located behind the power steering pump pulley. It can be accessed through the holes in the pulley. Another one is under the coil pack and it must be removed. Finally, the one on the bottom, to the right side of the harmonic balancer. It is better to access this one from the fender well, after the splash shield is removed. After this bracket is removed, guess what, you can then remove the idler pulley bolt. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Add your comment to this topic!