Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Signal Lights

BonnieGirl
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
This is my first time on this site. I hope I'm doing this right. I have a 1995 Bonneville SSEi. My signal lights want work. We have replaced the fuse but as soon as when put the fuse in and turn the car on the fuse blows. My hazard lights work fine. Can someone give me some suggestions on what to do next.

Thank you

BonnieGirl

taillight
09-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Look for a short. A wire pinched or broken.

BonnieGirl
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Where do we start with the steering wheel column? How do you take the steering column apart?

Real new to this. My husband and I are trying to do this ourselves because I know the dealer is going to charge and arm and leg just for labor alone. My husband is an eletronic tech so if he can get some info into what direction to do we can do it from there.

Thank you

BonnieGirl

taillight
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
It would be easer if you had a wiring diagram of the car. You could try to find one on the net or a Haynes manual. Start at the fuse or at the tail light and try to follow the wire inch by inch looking for a place where the insulation is off. Because the hazards work the problem is between the fuse and the hazard switch. There is also a brake light switch but if that works it is before there. From the fuse it goes under the dash and then to the steering column. You have 4-5 feet of wire to look at.

jdq
09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Dumb question but did you pull the bulbs , I had a issue where the bulbs were all rusted and did the sams sort of thing.

BonnieGirl
09-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Thank you for your help. Look like we have our work cut out for us. This is my second bonneville and I love them. Will let you know what we found out.

BonnieGirl
1995 Bonneville ssei

fuelmaxman
11-17-2007, 08:06 PM
ok, i think that u have 1 of two problems, one being very simple, and the other really not so bad. first, under the column remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the cover on by your knees, and check the directioanl flasher. it may be shorted out or "burnt" up so that the signal is shorted out as well. it's a round silver thing with two prongs. can't miss it. next is your directional switch in the column under the cancelling cam and air bag. cunsult a local mechanic. thanks for listening folks. over and out

Add your comment to this topic!