Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1981 BMW 318i needs MORE power!

hyppy
09-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey guys, I have a 1981 318i 1.8L 4cyl 8valves, 5 speeds manual gearbox in perfect condition;
I want to make it go faster without mounting a big engine, my ideas are to double its valves (16V) and put in a Turbo charger, get rid of the back seat and whatever I can to make it lighter and get some sport suspension.
Is it a good idea? Will the car die on me? Should just get a bigger engine? Should I also change the differential and the gearbox? Will it have more power or it’s like I’m giving steroids to a turtle?

tshih
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, I have a 1981 318i 1.8L 4cyl 8valves, 5 speeds manual gearbox in perfect condition;
I want to make it go faster without mounting a big engine, my ideas are to double its valves (16V) and put in a Turbo charger, get rid of the back seat and whatever I can to make it lighter and get some sport suspension.
Is it a good idea? Will the car die on me? Should just get a bigger engine? Should I also change the differential and the gearbox? Will it have more power or it’s like I’m giving steroids to a turtle?

You will not be able to get much power increase from adding a new head (more valves) since the head and new configuration needs tuning and adjustments way beyond the average mechanic's experience or capability (as in electronic tools and factory software). Just simpler to get a bigger engine from say the 6 cylinder versions BMW in the same body (but you need to get all the harness wires and clutch/gearbox etc). You're better off just buying a newer model with the right amount of power and selling your current car. Turbo mods are expensive if done right or else you will be blowing up the current engine and that will be expensive after all.

Add your comment to this topic!