Wheel Bearing

benoitd
09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Can anyone help me with changing the bearing on my 91 tempo gl? Its a press in on the driver side.

rhandwor
09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I would get a haynes manual and pull the unit. I don't know how much you can do. Various auto parts stores loan tools. Find a parts store who will press the old bearing out and press the new one in for a fee. Ask any friend who has done a job like this to help you. I don't remember if the Tempo has a cam on the strut bolt if it does use a punch and make a mark on both the cam and strut or your wheel will lean in or out 1 inch. You have to pull the CV joint and remove the rotor. With air tools you should have it off in a 1/2 hour. Maybe all day if you don't know what you are doing.

kahjdh
09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
You need a press. With wheel bearings you need a pretty stout press to get it off. Take the caliper off usually torx or hex bolts, rotor next(just pull off), then tie rod end, then cv lock nut (need a big socket and breaker bar for that one) Then strut bolts like stated above, then ball joint pinch bolt. From what i can remember thats about it. The whole knuckle comes off and you take that to the press. I havent done one on my tempo yet but on a few other cars. Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!