need advice re starter/solenoid

dynamo57
09-05-2007, 10:00 PM
The battery died on my corsica and after having it recharged and replaced in the car, the car won't start. Instead I get the clicking noise. Can you give me a general idea where the solenoid might be that's possibly causing this? Is it near the starter?

Also, I've had problems lately (when the car was running) that it would stall out and I could start it in park or neutral, but it would die again the minute I shifted it into gear. Someone mentioned the TCC and that it should be disconnected (did I get that right?). Where is this TCC?

thanks for any help you can offer

dy

taillight
09-06-2007, 10:26 AM
It sounds like the starter. Charge the battery even if it is new. New batteries are not always charge. Make sure the cables are tight.

dynamo57
09-06-2007, 11:56 AM
The battery is fully charged and we made sure that the connection was tight at the terminals. I thought if a clicking sound was heard when you tried to start the car it usually meant it was the solenoid that was bad and not the starter.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm getting so frustrated with how much this little car is costing me. It was originally my dad's car and it only has about 77,000 miles on it (it's a '93). I had just put about $3000 into it for repairs and then started having problems with the car stalling out on me. After reading some of hte posts on here, I was thinking it was a problem with the TCC. Now, I'm thinking this is gonna really start costing me a lot more money...

Guess I'll have to rethink keeping it... <sigh>

thanks
dy

taillight
09-07-2007, 09:11 AM
It could be the starter solenoid or the starter. Either will make the solenoid click.

richtazz
09-07-2007, 04:35 PM
The click you're hearing is the solenoid attempting to pull the drive in. If the starter is bad, it will click but not turn over. If the solenoid is shot, it won't even click. Did you hav ethe battery tested? Just because it takes a charge and shows 12.6-13.2 volts, doesn't mean it's capable of delivering the high amperage necessary to turn the starter.

Add your comment to this topic!