Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 monte carlo ignition cylinder removal

silversup
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
How do you remove the ignition cylinder in a 1988 monte carlo? Do you need to remove the steering wheel as well?

I had the starter checked and it failed. Replaced it with a remaned but still am not getting a crank. None of the accessories work (fan, turn signals, hazards, heater when the ignition switch is in the on position).

debrap
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
My brother is changing mine so I will let u know ASAP!

debrap
09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, ya havta remove the steering wheel, the ring on the shaft, 3 holding screws, the signal housing and finally one torx screw holding the ignition cylinder in place.....pretty tricky stuff but dooable.

silversup
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Cool Thanks man. I will go buy a steering wheel puller then. What were your cars symptoms that let you know you need a new switch? Seeing if I have the same thing going on.

debrap
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Half the key was stuck in the ignition! Not any real symptom other than half a key! Sorry.

silicon212
09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Silversup - the lock on the steering column is exactly that - a lock. The switch is on the top of the column, behind the dashboard and it is operated with a rod that connects to a cam, also called a 'rack' that interfaces with a gear, that interfaces with the ignition lock cylinder (what you put the key into). I'm only telling you this to save a lot of time - pulling the lock cylinder out won't get you anything but a new lock cylinder.

To replace the SWITCH, you will likely have to lower the column by removing any trim underneath it, then two big nuts that hold the column bracket to the underdash. Take note of any shims that might fall out, so you can put them back correctly as you put the column back together. The switch has a multi-wire harness coming off of it on the right top of the column. It is held in place with two 8mm-head bolts.

silversup
09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks a million silicon. I was all set to pull that steering wheel. Is there any way to quickly diagnose whether the switch is causing the no start problem?

Add your comment to this topic!