Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help - '89 Park Avenue HVAC

Gaz-O
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I recently inherited an '89 park avenue that runs great but needs some attention in the HVAC department. I'd like to see if I can't get this into working order and use it as a commuter / daily driver to save mileage on my other vehicles.

Here's the situation: First, the blower motor seems very intermittent and sometimes a good thump on the dask will kick her back on. I'm guessing it's most likely a bad blower motor but how do I check to make sure?

Second, when the fan does blow, you can hear it winding up and it sounds like it should be blowing like crazy coming out of the vents. However, I cannot get the ACC to direct any of the cold air from any of the ducts (defrost, dash vents, floor, etc). I've read a little about bad actuators and blend controls but I'm not sure where they would be on this specific car. Also, what are the ways to test the actuator / blender to see if its good or bad?

Finally, I have a head lamp that will not illuminate a low beam. I've tried replacing the bulb but it didn't change anything. The hi beam works just fine. Do I need to get a new head lamp housing or would it be in the harness somewhere?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

~Gaz

HotZ28
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's the situation: First, the blower motor seems very intermittent and sometimes a good thump on the dask will kick her back on. I'm guessing it's most likely a bad blower motor but how do I check to make sure? I think you are guessing is correct, the motor is going defunct. BTW, Click Here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=456641) for a good thread on air flow problems. It may not be year & model specific, but the operation and related problems are similar. You can also do a search in the PA & LeSabre forums for some more model specific info. IIRC, we have many post on this subject.:grinyes:
Finally, I have a head lamp that will not illuminate a low beam. I've tried replacing the bulb but it didn't change anything. The hi beam works just fine. Do I need to get a new head lamp housing or would it be in the harness somewhere?
Have you checked the terminal connector at the bulb for power? Is the other low beam working?

Gaz-O
09-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks HotZ...I fixed the headlight issue and now am left only to deal w/ the HVAC issue. Also, the blower motor had a bad connection on it and now blows (or turns) all the time with out a hit to the dash. The only issue I am left w/ now is the low volume of air from the ducts.

Any ideas? It looks like the vacuum lines are all fine and the valves close / open when different setting are selected on the head unit. The problem is extremely low volume. Is there an inlet or a filter that could be plugged up?

Thanks again.

HotZ28
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Have you checked the evaporator coil for blockage? I have seen some of the older cars with coils full of crud. Usually, they need to be washed with a strong detergent & a water hose. Do a search in both PA & LeSabre forums for "evaporator cleaning" procedure.

Add your comment to this topic!