Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blown Head Gasket

murder4hire
11-20-2002, 01:11 PM
My '92 Ranger has blown the head gasket, and it's gonna cost at least a grand. I found this crap on the internet though that says it seals the gasket without having to take anything apart. You just put it ion the cooling system. I dunno though, sounds too good to be true. The stuff is called Cracked Leak Cure and is at http://www.detsco.com/clc/index.htm
Think it'll work?

Racincc85
11-20-2002, 10:47 PM
i looked at the website for that head gasket sealer and it says to drain cooling system and fill with water and the sealer crap and run the engine. It seems a little hard to me to start the engine with the head gasket blown, so i would say its a waste of money. All it would probably do would be gum up the cooling system. i have never trusted those "quick fixes." Its much safer for the engine to fix it the right way. it's not really that hard to change a head gasket, either. my advice is just get the chilton manual and a buddy or two and go to work on it. good luck!

higgimonster
11-21-2002, 07:27 AM
I assume that tha stuff just seals any cracks in the cooling system. So, it would probably work for a little while but I would not depend on it (life Fix-A-Flat). You will be better off replaceing the head gasket.

The Dude
11-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Holy crap. 1000 Dollars for a head gasket. Yeah get a chilton and find a friend with a torque wrench and just do it yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!