Page updated on 11-18-2017

ABS Prob?

93gmcjimmy
09-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Ok I'm not sure if this is an ABS prob or not. I have been reading some other threads but nothing seems to be the prob I have. The right caliper is sticking so tight you can't rotate the wheel. I replaced the caliper and rotor as both were fried. Problem still persists. I have never had an ABS system and do not know how they work. Some of the threads said I need a scanner tool to bleed the system. Can someone explain how to do this or if you have had this prob before?

blazes9395
09-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Did you replace the flex line? Did you bleed the system? While this could very well be an ABS problem, you have to make sure the system in general works, as the brake system still works in the same general principal as a system without ABS. Make sure your flex line is good and not damaged/kinked/deteriorated from the inside. Make sure fluid flows to that caliper by bleeding it.

burnchassis3
09-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Just 1 wheel? or both front ?
Mine were both sticking so bad the rotors were cherry red and smoking.
1st thing I suggest is check the master cylinder lid.
Open it ,and check the rubber inside the cap,if this rubber is expanded or deformed in anyway let me know.
CS

93gmcjimmy
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I did bleed the caliper after I put it on. No it just seems to be just the one side rotor but that rotor was cherry red after driving around the neighborhood on a test drive of the engine. That was when I changed the rotor and caliper. After replacing and bleeding the caliper it still locks the caliper to the point the wheel will not turn by hand. I can release the pressure thru the bleeder valve but after I hit the brakes again it locks the wheel down. I read in some other threads you needed a scanner to do a full fluid change on the ABS system. What is the scanner they are talking about? I checked the brake lines and they seem to be age cracked on the outside but are not leaking and don't seem to be kinked.

MT-2500
09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
The ABS system is made to shut off pressure.

If you can release it by opening bleeder.
Close bleeder and then let it build up pressure and then open the brake line before the rubber brake flex hose.

If it still holds pressure on caliper with that line open then open bleeder.
If pressure releases your rubber brake hose is bad.
MT

93gmcjimmy
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok here's the deal. I unscrewed the flex line from the hard brake line inside the fender well cutting it off from the master cyl. The brake still held very tight. So I called and ordered a new flex line, should be here tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Add your comment to this topic!