Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine reeving

Melissa91
11-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Ok I know I'm a girl and all but I do know a little about my car. Here's the facts about it. I have a 91 Acura Integra GS with 200,000 miles with the original engine ( I know its a lot but I do baby my car).

Well the engine rheevs up and down from 2000 RPMs to 1000 RPMs dramaticly. I do know it has to do with the air intake. I took it to a mechanic and they ran a diagnostic test on it. They said I have to replace the throttle body...well a new one is 500 dollars and that is a little steep for this college student. So I went to a junk yard in atlanta and got a used one, it was in good shape with a warrante on it from a honda yunk yard. (that yard was hard to find too). Well it still rheevs up, not as bad though...and once the car has been running for a while it stops reeving up. But when you turn it on it rheevhs up really high then drops... then really high then drops...reeerrhh reerhhh reerrhhh...lol. Anyway you guys this is really annoying and my gas mileage is suffering too. I know its something with the air intake cause when I spray throttle body fluid in it, it stops for a second then does the reeeving again. Please help me, or tell me somewhere that can withour riping me off. e-mail me at M_Seeker@hotmail.com, thanks

Fishcat37
11-22-2002, 10:56 AM
There's an obvious vacuum leak. While the motor is surging up and down like that, spray that throttle body cleaner on the air intake and all around. When the surging stops for a little bit where you are spraying, that is where the vacuum leak is at. Check all vacuum lines going into your air intake. sorry if you already knew all of that :)

kaytec4door
11-27-2002, 10:26 AM
the mechanic isnt telling the truth he is guessing, a technichian would tell you that you have a vacumm leak. you may need a new throttle body gasket or intake manifold gasket. check all of your vacum lines. a way to tell if you have a vaccum leak is to take brake clean or carb cleaner and spray it where the gasket is. and if it goes away there is your prob. good luck

THE4TH
11-30-2002, 11:56 AM
of course the mechanic is guessing.. he makes more money if he can make up more problems..

Melissa91
12-02-2002, 08:47 AM
Thanks you guys, you guys described my problem exactly with the cleaner I was using before. I will definitly replace the vacume hoses.

Add your comment to this topic!