Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking at a '91 Probe

renchhednot
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
hi all- i am looking at a 91 probe gt with the turbo. the guy wants $250. it has new front tires new windshield, and new battery and alternator. It does need cv joints and probably a new rear caliper maybe a drum and rear shoes. is this a good deal or not? it has all the other bells and whistles

corey6996
09-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey one thing to look at on those probes is the Body itself. Actually look underneith of it to see if there is any holes or even some rust flaking. My whole front clip on mine is so bad the Rad is only being held at the bottom with one bolt so I have to weld a whole new piece of metal on there to hold the rad. Also for the parts that need to be replaced thats pretty good for a 1991. If its just brakes and the other things that basically normal wear and tear. I would get the CV Joints quick tho cuz they help ya book around town. Cuz you'll hear them move when your turning. Get those things done on it and you'll have a quick car to drive around. Oh one last thing check the millage on it too. I am up in the North so we are in Kilometers but see how many Miles are on it. It should be high if its a 1991. Hope you get it tho!

G-man422
09-04-2007, 06:52 AM
A car for less than $300? Its probably going to suck your money right up and then give you more problems. Is it going to be your main source of transportation or a project car?

troyfromkamilla
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
A first gen probe will last a very long time. Both of my first gens had over 200k on them and still ran when I sold them. CV joints and brakes are commong issues with any car. I would say if it's not leaking, smoking, or missing, then you found a hell of a deal.

Add your comment to this topic!