Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear shocks/Springs?

s1120
09-03-2007, 06:53 AM
OK, well after taking a long trip, loaded pretty full, it looks like I am due for some new rear shocks/springs! What brands do you all use? Any good/bad luck with anything out there?

phil-l
09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I replaced my rear shocks with Monroe Sensatrac units; they work fine. It's a straightforward DIY job.

Some people on this board have used shocks that include a spring to help stiffen the rear of the van. My problem with this approach: You're asking the shocks mounts to do some of the job that is supposed to be done by the main spring perches. Plus the the result isn't adjustable; if the ride is too rough when the van is empty, you're stuck with it. One brand of combined shock/spring is the Gabriel Load Carrier; AutoZone carries them.

I regularly tow both a popup camper and a utility trailer with my Windstar - so I was looking for a more flexible way to firm up the rear (Windstars, as with most minivans, are very softly sprung in the rear). I decided to add AirLift 1000 spring airbags. They allow me to adjust how much stiffness I'm looking for. I've been pleased with them. In particular, the van's handling when not towing is improved.

Here are some pictures of my spring airbag installation:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/548741257AJALLi

The spring airbags can be inflated from 5psi to 35 psi. I find 10-15psi is fine for normal driving; I up them to 20-25psi when towing the popup camper.

wiswind
09-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I also installed the Monroe Sensa-trac on my '96.
They have been just fine.
I found the bolts to be difficult to break loose, but otherwise the job was real easy.
They are not inside the springs......like the front struts......so you only are working with the shock....and not the spring.

Monroe has come out with a shock with the spring assist....they run about $100 for the pair.
They have them on the Rockauto website.

I like Phil's method with the air bags, and it is not real expensive.

s1120
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I like the air bag idea. I have used them on the front of a plow truck and had good luck with them. I may give them a shot. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!