Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas meter jumps with 1/4 tank left

Calgary ZR2
09-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Has anyone had this problem where the gas meter jumps at some point. Mine will do it when the tank is low even when standing still.

MT-2500
09-03-2007, 08:43 AM
It is best not to run your tank below a 1/4 tank.
You could have a smart gauge that is telling you to fill the tank up.:grinyes:

People that keep gas in there tank have a lot less fuel pump replacements.
MT

burnchassis3
09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Fuel gauge on my 99 dont work either..if I didnt have the computer up top,Id be lost.
No idea what the problem is.
CS

blazes9395
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
This is a very common problem on these trucks, even other GM vehicles for that matter. When you are having the "dancing guage", its usually a result of the fuel sender going bad. The sender on these trucks can be changed without changing the whole assembly, but you do have to take the tank off the truck, pull the fuel pump assembly out of the tank and replace the fuel sending unit.

burnchassis3
09-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Mine has been bouncing for a little over 2 years.
Can it go bad for 2 years without going out??
Must be another cause....
CS

blazes9395
09-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Mine has been bouncing for a little over 2 years.
Can it go bad for 2 years without going out??
CS

Yes.

burnchassis3
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes.
So my sending unit is going out..great,this means I can break down at any given time??
:disappoin
Shoulda stayed in bed. lol
Thanks
CS

Calgary ZR2
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for that.
It was working fine for years, this dancing gauge started suddenly one day.

blazes9395
09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
ZR2 you can try a good fuel injector cleaner, it could be its just dirty. Most likly though it has to be replaced. Burnchassis, this won't leave you stranded because of breakdown persay, but if you are not keeping track of how much gas you have in the tank...you could run out of gas, so kind in a way a kind of a breakdown.

burnchassis3
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
ZR2 you can try a good fuel injector cleaner, it could be its just dirty. Most likly though it has to be replaced. Burnchassis, this won't leave you stranded because of breakdown persay, but if you are not keeping track of how much gas you have in the tank...you could run out of gas, so kind in a way a kind of a breakdown.

ok cool ,when you said "fuel sender" ...sounded more critical i guess.
wheew!
I'm used to reading the computer read out up top..where does that get its reading from? It shows degrees outside instant mpg avg mpg avg mph fuel used and estimated range
Not the same fuel sender ?
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!