Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 S-10 4.3L won't start hot

srtolly
09-02-2007, 02:38 PM
My 92 4.3 cpi won't start after shutting it off. It has over 200,000 miles and I should probably retire it but I use it to plow snow. It runs well but just won't start when it is hot. It will start after it cools down. I have replaced the ignition module and pickup coil in the distributor (pickup coil left me stranded 10 miles from home). The starter is about 5,000 miles old and the alternator is new. I tried to be specific and any advice is appreciated.

blazes9395
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Check the basics. When it stalls, check for spark, if that checks out, check for fuel pressure.

burnchassis3
09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Check the basics. When it stalls, check for spark, if that checks out, check for fuel pressure.

Sounds like it isn;t stalling out ,but not cranking after its hot .
You didnt mention you replaced the battery..or checked it.You gotta start there.
When you say "HOT" how hot it that? normal temps or over 210*f?
CS

srtolly
09-15-2007, 03:20 PM
The engine doesn't stall it just won't re-start (it will crank till the cows come home) after is't been running for a little while. It had plenty of spark after changing the pickup coil and module. not sure about fuel pressure, with the filter off and cranking the engine fuel comes out of the line. Other than that I can't test fuel pressure (unless there is an easy way). I did change the fuel pressure regulator since I have had a problem there before. My next thought is a fuel pump unless someone has a better suggestion. I'm also not sure if this is a cpi engine it has the "spider" type of injector.

ericn1300
09-15-2007, 05:27 PM
see this post for how to check your fuel pressure, pics too: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=748019

rhandwor
09-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I've had a lot of problems with bad modules 3 in a row for a chevy. Buy a new delco or at least an echlin or standard module.
Auto zone or Advance check them for free if bad get a free replacement. On modules cheap isn't always good.
Buy a spark tester cheap compared to parts. If you have spark try spraying some starting fluid in the air cleaner. If it starts and runs you have a fuel problem.

kevnchelle
10-04-2007, 01:58 PM
did you ever find out what was the problem? I am having the same one.

Softwolf
10-06-2007, 12:28 AM
I had the same symptom (vehicle not re-starting after it reached normal operating temp). So I replaced everything spark related to rule all of that out, plus it all needed to be done anyway.

After much cussing and money spent on parts, I was still having problems with starting after it warmed up, so I moved onto the fuel system next. The easiest, fastest and cheapest thing I figured to try first, was the relay for the fuel pump. That cleared my issue right up - I was very lucky that it wasn't the fuel pump itself (yet).

But then again my Blazer is possessed and the problems/cures that I find for my vehicle are not necessarily typical. However, it might be worth a shot for you.

srtolly
10-14-2007, 01:16 PM
After much to-do and a lot of parts replaced (ignition module, pick-up coil, fuel pressure regulator, Injector assy., computer, and finally a fuel pump relay) my starting problem seems fixed with the relay. However now I have an issue where the engine sputters periodically like the timing may be off or there is a fuel delivery problem. It doesn't do it all the time but often. I can feel the engine surging when at a steady speed and when accellerating it pops and sputters like the timing could be off. any suggestions are helpful.

rhandwor
10-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Pull the dist. cap turn the engine over by hand past top dead center. Turn it back to top dead center. Have somebody watch the rotor turn the engine until it just starts to move. Slack over appx. 20 degrees indicates you need a new timing chain. To much slack has the computer always hunting where to set the timing.

Add your comment to this topic!