Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with my 92 SE

indy500fan
09-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Getting to the end of my rope with 92 SE. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated but I am pretty ignorant about cars. My car died while driving at slow speed but was able to jump start it. I am thinking that was a fluke though. Got it headed toward home and it died at high speed. Could not get it started again. I cleaned the battery cables and changed out the battery. No luck. Tried a few times over the next couple days. Tried it one last time after 2 days and it started. Ran fine for 5 days and then would not start after being parked for several hours. Tried several times over the next 3 days and finally it started again. Got it headed toward home and it died again. Pushed it into a parking lot where after 3 or 4 tries it started and we got it home. It started 5 or 6 times in a row in my driveway but now doesnt start again. It always cranks but doesnt fire. Have tried jumping it several times but the only time it worked was the first. I have changed the battery and the fuel filter (it needed it). Also have checked out the alternator and it passed. Any thoughts?

maxwedge
09-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome to AF, someone has to check for spark when it won't start, or spray carb cleaner into the intake, if it starts you have a fuel delivery issue. These are the basic diagnostic steps to track this, if the engine cranks it is not a battery /alternator issue.

indy500fan
09-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks. I am waiting for a friend to come over the help with that. I had the ICM checked out and it passed. The parts store suggested changing the fuel pump relay. I bought one but the cover of my fuse/relay center under the hood no longer has the diagram to tell me which is which. Can anyone tell which is the fuel pump relay?

Thanks again.

maxwedge
09-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Again, you are guessing and getting ahead of yourself, stop here and do what was suggested.

Aurora01
09-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Is your check engine light on? It sounds like to me that you may have a bad cam sensor

HotZ28
09-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Is your check engine light on? It sounds like to me that you may have a bad cam sensor :nono: The cam sensor has nothing to do with spark, it is only used for injector timing.

indy500fan
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Not getting any sort of warning light or other. The only thing that seems to be out of place is that the volt meter sometimes reads lower than usual. It normally pegs 14 volts on the dashboard dial but will now read about 13 on occasion. That seems to be a prelude to problems but not sure. It has started every day for the last 10 but have not taken it out of the driveway until today. A little nervous about that. Unless I'm wrong I cant really check for spark or fuel delivery if its running. By all means, let me know if I'm wrong.

Chriznat20@msn.com
09-24-2007, 09:03 PM
:nono: The cam sensor has nothing to do with spark, it is only used for injector timing.

True but a bad crank sensor does. When no/intermittent signal is detected, a no-start or a start when cold situation can occur.

Add your comment to this topic!