Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny leak?

player11
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Check engine light just came on, so I did a little inspecting and found the drive shaft pretty wet. Not sure of the source...can I assume it's from the tranny? Rodeo has 67K miles, tranny flushed at 48k.

Also, would all tranny problems be covered with the 120k/10 year warranty?

amigo-2k
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
It you are the first owner and it is a 2000-2002 it covers all leaks too.

player11
08-31-2007, 01:02 PM
It you are the first owner and it is a 2000-2002 it covers all leaks too.

Thanks...after further inspection and searching off this site..it is definitely leaking from the accumulator gasket cover...seems to be a common problem. Appointment with dealer next Tuesday. Should I have a fluid and flter change, a flush, or just a top it off?. Leaking fluid seems to be in good shape...pink and no smell..

Ramblin Fever
08-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Might as well change the fluid again, typically 12-15k miles is an EXCELLENT interval for changing out the tranny fluid with partial fluid swaps.

I do not recommend flushes, but if that's what you're comfortable with, I still wouldn't go more then every 25k between intervals.

Keep the fluid in this tranny CLEAN/FRESH and full, and it'll last a long time.

I do NOT recommend that you go more then 30k between ATF fluid changes with a flush, or longer then 20k between ATF changes with partial drain/refills.

player11
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
one more question...what is the third pan down from the front of Rodeo? I also see a small drip building from there. torque converter? What would this indicate?

Ramblin Fever
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Can you take a pic and post it??

player11
08-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Can you take a pic and post it??
Sorry..can't...but it's a few feet down from the 2 other pans...maybe it's a plate. There is a plug right in the middle of it..would the torque converter be above it?

Looking at other pics from that link..maybe it is the guard for the transfer..would that be a little ways down from the tranny?

trooperbc
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
one more question...what is the third pan down from the front of Rodeo? I also see a small drip building from there. torque converter? What would this indicate? there should be three (3) pans down there
from the front
1) oil pan, large
2) AT adapter pan, small; the adapter adapted the old trans to electronic
3) main automatic trans pan, large

the little AT pan should also be dropped when doing the fluid/filter change so you get to change more fluid. they will replace that gasket then also

here's an illustration from the isuzu online parts site www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com)
the adapter pan is #73, the main pain is #1
http://www.myisuzuparts.com/images/Rodeo_98/Print/2-42a.gif

is this what you are talking about?

//bc

player11
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
there should be three (3) pans down there
from the front
1) oil pan, large
2) AT adapter pan, small; the adapter adapted the old trans to electronic
3) main automatic trans pan, large

the little AT pan should also be dropped when doing the fluid/filter change so you get to change more fluid. they will replace that gasket then also

here's an illustration from the isuzu online parts site www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com)
the adapter pan is #73, the main pain is #1
http://www.myisuzuparts.com/images/Rodeo_98/Print/2-42a.gif

is this what you are talking about?

//bc
down another couple feet heading towards the rear, there is another plate or cover..it may be protecting whatever is above it..I did notice a small drip foriming there after i cleaned everything up. Where is the torque converter located..is there a plate protecting it..and could it leak?

guard for the transfer??

Ramblin Fever
08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
If you could post a pic that would work marvelously.

How far away is this 3rd pan you're referring to from the big transmission pan?

player11
08-31-2007, 06:52 PM
If you could post a pic that would work marvelously.

How far away is this 3rd pan you're referring to from the big transmission pan?

2 feet tops

Ramblin Fever
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
2 feet tops...does that mean towards the back or front of the truck. Gonna have to help me out here, I have a 4x2 Rodeo automatic, you have extra gear under yours that I don't have on mine, if it's a 4x4 anyways. And, I can't remember where the transfer case, etc was at on my '91 Rodeo, been too long.

On my current Rodeo, though, I do have 3 pans - oil pan, small overdrive transmission pan, and main transmission pan, in that order from front of truck to rear.

player11
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
2 feet tops...does that mean towards the back or front of the truck. Gonna have to help me out here, I have a 4x2 Rodeo automatic, you have extra gear under yours that I don't have on mine, if it's a 4x4 anyways. And, I can't remember where the transfer case, etc was at on my '91 Rodeo, been too long.

On my current Rodeo, though, I do have 3 pans - oil pan, small overdrive transmission pan, and main transmission pan, in that order from front of truck to rear.

towards the back... 4X4...I'm guessing it's the guard for the transfer.

trooperbc
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
..... Where is the torque converter located..is there a plate protecting it..and could it leak?

guard for the transfer?? the torque converter in in the bell housing.

//bc

Add your comment to this topic!