Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power steering pump pulley problem

Greyfox 1
08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm an idiot or something because I cannot get the pulley off of the power steering pump so I can replace it. Can I get someone who is smarter than myself to explain how to do this and include the pics without passing out from laughing so hard at me?

david-b
08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome to AF.

When posting, please include your make, model and year. Will just help us out in the long run.

Is the bolt off? If so, crow bar that bad boy.

SilvrEclipse
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
You might have to rent a puller from advanceauto to get it off. Some of those can be on there VERY tight.

david-b
08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Those pullers don't work to well from my experience. For the UDP I rented 2 and they didn't work. I got pissed and crow-barred it off. Good time IIRC. You basically just need (as long as it's still on the car) something where you can get to it from the side and sit close by the center of the wheel, and pry off.

SilvrEclipse
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
what kind of puller did you use. I got one from there and used an impact wrench to turn the bolt. The pulley came off in a minute or to. This worked for my stock and udp.

david-b
08-31-2007, 11:26 AM
When I did the head I rented one from autozone, it was too small. Bolt didnt even come close to fiting anywhere. I took back, got the other one, and then the bolt was too big. Wouldn't fit into the UDP or where ever it connects to. I got pissed, so jokingly I took a crow bar it and while laughing and yelling & swearing at it making a show out of the whole thing, I pried it and pop. Came right off. Wish I had a video camera then. Hilarious.

Add your comment to this topic!