Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My '88 Brougham leaks like an oil well !!

DaVeMoE
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I just went through my engine oil leak problem with an UV leak kit from Napa and found a few small leaks but the biggest one has me confused. It looks like the biggest one is coming from the front of the engine (5.0 liter aka buick 307) in the area just under the intake manifold and right behind where the water pump mounts to.There is also a sending unit there that shows some dye. Is this area the front timing chain cover? and what is that sending unit?(oil pressure?.. I thought that was on the lower drivers side of the block) Any idea's? Would it be possible for the intake to be leaking oil? or is it more likely to be the cover and or sending unit? Any help would be appreciated as well as an idea of how involved this fix would be.(It's not a good thing to be leaving oil spots everywhere I park this nice looking Caddy):smokin: :disappoin

caddydaddy
08-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not too familiar with the 307's, but most engines have a gasket that mates the intake to the block, and that can leak. The one on my 4.9 leaks a little, but not as bad as yours.
If the sender is leaking oil, then it probably is the oil pressure sender. They are at different locations on every car. Some are on top, some are near the oil filter, and some are on the back of the engine. I'd remove it, put some silicone sealer on it, and reinstall it. Be sure to clean the oil off it good first.

maxwedge
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
This is a 307 Olds engine and the repair info is plentiful, no one sitting at a desk can trace these leaks, clean the area thoroughly and start from scratch to see the source. Autozone.com. repair guides has the info, look under 88 Olds Cutlass rwd for the engine info.

DaVeMoE
09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Just a quick update, I finally found out that the oil pressure switch was leaking oil from the top of the unit where the wire plugs into it. Bought a new switch and the socket for it for less than $20,re-cleaned the engine and every thing is clean and dry!!

maxwedge
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Great, thanks for posting back.

Add your comment to this topic!