Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Cavalier temp & Fuel Gauges Way out Of Wack

drizler
08-30-2007, 01:09 AM
This is a new to me car which PO told me for some time has had this condition. Both the fuel and temp gauges are wound way over past full and hot clear to the speedometer arc. It also once in a while has the speedometer ( all analog type gauges) start reading slow and bouncy. The fuel and temp do move a bit sometimes but not much. I have read the entire cluster is shot but hate to go buy a new one just to see if it works. What is the usual cause of this and can a ground problem often cause this like with older cars?:runaround:

taillight
08-30-2007, 08:42 AM
It could be a wiring or ground problem. Check wiring first. You could get a used cluster.

drizler
06-24-2008, 03:52 AM
It could be a wiring or ground problem. Check wiring first. You could get a used cluster.
Way late but in the interest of someone else with a similar problem finding this here was the fix. Went and saw a place selling rebuilt clusters for 250 which was too much for me. Checked out Ebay and got a new surplus cluster for $50. Took the direction set posted online from the outfit that sells the rebuilds ( quite detailed right down to the hidden screws) and used it to put in new cluster. Not hard at all and all fixed with no more wacky gauges. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place with the directions but I am sure anyone can find it. No problem with the odometer either. The computer does it all and everything sets right to the proper mileage.:biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!