Page updated on 09-25-2017

New non start issue

txfiero87
08-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I have 98 GMC Sonoma 2.2 4 cyl, manual. Approx 160k. Bought the truck used about 8 months ago. Had new clutch at that time. every now and then it would not grab when I tried to start and after a couple tries it always would. Tuned up when I bought it. My battery died recently so I changed it, checked cables at that time. The other day everything was fine, parked my truck for the night. Woke up to go to work, and it wouldn't start. I can hear the starter & fuel pump turn on, but it was like the starter was not grabbing the flywheel. Took day off work, checked w/different people all seemed to think starter or flywheel. My truck will start if I push started it. I pulled the starter off took it in to the shop. They test it. It checked out ok. (Gear reduction one). My wife didn't trust that guy so we went somewhere else to have it checked. Again it was fine. He even said that it is going out as far as it is suppose to and all that. So not the starter. I asked that guy and he said the ring or the flywheel. Came home put starter back on. It sort has a slight angle in the way it sits but it was like that when I pulled it off too. I pulled the cover off so I could watch as I had someone bump the key. I was only missing 1 tooth on my flywheel, but it just isn't grabbing anywhere. I checked everything the ring seems to be where it is suppose to be (was suggested that it could have shifted). There was no shim or anything but it is almost like it is not touching properly when the starter engages. But this was doing this BEFORE I pulled the starter initally. This happened all of a sudden so to speak and I just am at a loss. I took my wife's car in for ac work and talked to that mechanic and he said he never heard of such a thing and to bring it in to "tinker" but that tinkering could cost me a small fortune that we do not have. Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong? Is that starter suppose to be sitting with a very slight angle? Any help I would be greatful for! Thanks in advance!

taillight
08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
First the starter should not be at an angle. If your flywheel is missing a tooth it has to be replaced. The starter might have broken the tooth.

blazes9395
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
How is your charging system? Are you getting enough voltage to the starter to work properly. Just because the starter checks out o.k. at a shop does not always mean its good all the time. The stater has to be at a particular distance from the flywheel for it to engage properly. Now you mention you have a tooth missing in the flywheel. That needs to be fixed, as every time the starter hits that spot, you'll always have a problem, as there is nowhere for it to enage.

93gmcjimmy
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
The flywheel is probably where I would start as well. It should be easy enough to check. When it doesn't start, jack it up, pull the dust cover off and look at the teeth. Also your starter has two parts. A plunger selinoid and a motor to spin the gears, the selinoid pushes the gears into the flywheel. While your under the car have a friend hit the starter and watch and see if the starter teeth push forward into the fly, if they don't then it's your starter. Or the les s dangerous way is to pull the starter off and hit power to the plunger and see what happens.

txfiero87
08-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for everyone's reply so far. I had a problem every now and again which probably is the one missing tooth. But now it won't start at all. (only if I push start it). I came home from work parked it for the night & now it won't start. My voltage & everything seem fine, but I will double check that. I have a flywheel on order now too, but in the mean time it just won't start without me push starting it. I did have my wife "bump" the key while I was under it on ramps. I pulled the dust cover off and the starter was going out and hitting the flywheel but barely, it was actually dropping just below the flywheel at some point for some strange reason. What could have caused this shift, (it was fine, then I parked it for the night)? I did take it off had it tested twice and everything seems fine with it. I did reinstall it. Could there be any crack or anything that might have caused the shift of the starter? This one has me stumped. I really do appreciate what you guys have told me so far. Thanks

taillight
08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
If the starter it not stright the pinion will not line up with the flywheel. Find out what is wrong with the starter.

txfiero87
08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I solved the problem- so just in case anyone else ever has this here it goes. The starter was fine, however the hole for the bolt (one of them) had wallered out some caused the starter to shift about a 1/16 or an inch or so and not line up with the flywheel. I pulled the starter back off today. I don't know why all of a sudden in one night this happened, but it has been a lot of stress but at least less worry now. Bought a new starter today, took my bolt with me (I still wasn't sure at that point) got one that the bolt fit tightly into brought it home and now it is starting fine. Craziest thing I have seen! Good starter but the hole for the bolt messed up costing me $150.

donwkk
09-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Thanks again for the replies. I solved the problem- so just in case anyone else ever has this here it goes. The starter was fine, however the hole for the bolt (one of them) had wallered out some caused the starter to shift about a 1/16 or an inch or so and not line up with the flywheel. I pulled the starter back off today. I don't know why all of a sudden in one night this happened, but it has been a lot of stress but at least less worry now. Bought a new starter today, took my bolt with me (I still wasn't sure at that point) got one that the bolt fit tightly into brought it home and now it is starting fine. Craziest thing I have seen! Good starter but the hole for the bolt messed up costing me $150.

It didn't happen in one night. It was warning you in the past when it would not engage but would finally start after you kept trying. One or both of the bolts may have seemed tight but one obviously was not tight enough to keep the starter from moving just a bit everytime you hit the key. Over time that slight movement was enough to enlarge the bolt hole enough so that the starter was having a hard time engaging the flywheel. The more it missed the more you kept trying which just made the problem get gradually worse. Finally one morning the starter decided it had tried too many times to catch that flywheel and it moved that last bit. That was the morning many near misses by the starter turned into an always miss.

Thanks for posting your final findings. Maybe it will save a lot of us from going through the same thing. I own 2 Blazers and my son owns 8 Blazers and S10 Pickups. One of them has the same problem of not engaging until he tries a few times. I think I'll suggest he crawl under there to see whats going on before it quits altogether. Too bad the starters are much harder to work on with the V6 and 4x4. It's hard to even see them never mind work on them.

Add your comment to this topic!