Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Jimmy rear hatch latch problem

myrone
08-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I can hear the automatic rear latch activate, it just won't release the hatch.
Anybody know how in the world I open the hatch and lower the tailgate to get in to look for the problem? Any advise as to what this problem may be?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Myrone

DaVeMoE
08-29-2007, 08:35 PM
My 98 Jimmy was doing the same thing. I just simply pulled on the glass handle while I pressed the release button on the tailgate, after I got it open I sprayed the latch with some "WD-40" and worked the latch.If the mechanism is inoperable, you may have to try and remove the panel from inside the truck(P.I.T.A.). I hope this helps, Dave

bglass55
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
I suppose by now you've resolved this problem...but in the interest of those who may be reading this:
I have recently experienced this hell...The thing is you can't remove the interior panel (to get to the window latch) if you cant get the tailgate open...and you can't open the tailgate if the window latch is engaged ...Hmmmmm...
The problem with mine turned out to be a small piece of plastic which connects the latch solenoid to the latch lever (plastic???? Who's the genius that designed this???)
I can't believe there's not a better way to do this, so I would encourage the reader to check with your local GM dealer before you do what I did.
And here's what I did:
Working from the interior of the auto, cut a small (2" X 3") hole in the plastic of the interior panel where the "bulge" of the window latch appears to be. You may have to remove some rubber insolation covering the latch. This reveals the latch housing which has a small slit through which you can insert a thin screwdriver (or whatever works) and with an up and down motion trip the window latch (whew)
OK... so now you've got the window open and can lower the tailgate...
Remove the tailgate handle by lifting it up and removing the two retaining screws..Now remove the screw behind that which secures the interior panel
Two more screws are located on each side of the tailgate..
Now you can start to remove the interior (plastic) panel
There are "dagger" connectors on the upper, left and right of the panel which must be disengaged first. Once these are free, pull the panel assy. up (or to you with the tailgate down). Thinking this was like a door panel, I went crazy and just started pulling the panel away... only to discover I had broken the plastic tabs that secure the lower part of the panel.
After removing the interior panel, you can finally start to see the problem area. If your problem is like mine, the plastic bit between the solenoid and the latch assy. is broken. Mine was attached with rivets..so you gotta deal with that, but if your this far along I'm pretty sure you know what to do next. Hope this helps...and I would really like to hear from you guys with the "real" fix..as I said ..I can't believe this is the right way to do this.......

flipcrip
10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f136/rear-hatch-release-lock-failure-how-to-open-the-glass-171586/

this way helped my situation without drilling any holes.....i have a 1996 jimmy

Add your comment to this topic!