Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Standard vs. Automatic

Pages : [1] 2

verboom
02-26-2001, 02:02 PM
Here's my beef, I think every single person should LEARN to drive on a standard. I hate it when people complain about not being able to drive certain cars, just because they are not automatic. Automatics are for wimps, and I don't get it, why would anybody pay more for and automatic at a dealer, when they are just depriving themselves of big fun? The first car I ever drove was a 5-speed, and I'll talk the stick anyday. I'll always buy standards, and I think the only people who can justify having an automatic would be a disabled person. For all those who can't drive a standard, GO AND LEARN!

NissanZ@af
02-26-2001, 07:18 PM
I agree with you completely. My parents used to have 2 automatic cars, but my dad got a new Audi a week ago that's a manual and it is so much fun to drive. I just don't get why people buy automatics. I'll get my dad's old automatic Nissan Stanza for my first car when I turn 16 though, but I can't help that, unless I earn money to buy a manual car.

SkylinesKillAll
02-26-2001, 09:11 PM
yeah i agree. i hate when i have to drive other ppls cars b/c they cant drive standard yet or whatever. ne moron can drive an auto. ppl shoul learn stick just in case somethin coems up where u have to drive stick. i want my car to get totaled so bad so i can go buy a stick car.

GOD
02-26-2001, 10:37 PM
DO you mean "STICK" hehehe well it all depends on where you live what driveing conditions your going to be driving in . Just stuff like that , Oh yeah also are you going for the big body benz or lex or are u going more for speed like a trans am , NSX . It all depends :)

JD@af
02-27-2001, 01:03 AM
I agree too. It doesn't piss me off that people don't know how to drive standard, per say, but it does disappoint me that fewer and fewer cars are being made with manual transmissions, particularly here in America. I strongly dislike what this states about our culture and our society, i.e. that we are comprised of drivers that have less control of our cars and less desire to embrace driving as an art.

I perceive automatics more as just cars for point A to point B driving. Those that still enjoy driving in general will still go out and get a car with a manual transmission. I have many friends that drive automatics, and they grill me every so often about driving a stick, and why would they want to. I don't even try to defend my view in this instance. Either you get it or you don't. I tell them not to knock it until they've tried it.

gang$tarr
03-04-2001, 07:50 PM
I HATE AUTO!! stick is the best, i make fun of peeps that drive auto, it's so gay and BORING!

Seb928S@af
03-04-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by gang$tarr
I HATE AUTO!! stick is the best, i make fun of peeps that drive auto, it's so gay and BORING!

Yep I do that too. :) I learned to drive a stick in my Porsche 951 man and I am happy that I don't have a automatic. Automatics suck and true they are so boring. It is because of the American market there are too many lazy ass people here. In Europe it is the other way around there are so many manuals there, even the $100,000 Benz have them. Everytime I get into a automatic I first look for the clutch. lol

gang$tarr
03-05-2001, 08:00 PM
seb post some pics of your 951

Seb928S@af
03-05-2001, 09:06 PM
seb post some pics of your 951

Its a POS remember it is Porsche that we are talking about here.

Heep
03-12-2001, 09:25 PM
I can't stand automatics. Seeing a little tiny lady driving around in her luxury truck (ick!) talking on her cell phone just ticks me off. While my car (5-speed) was a sitting duck (about 3 weeks), I drove either my mom's Windstar or dad's Accord (auto). Even after 3 weeks I still wasn't used to it, stomping on the brake with my left foot when I get in (I have to hold in the clutch to start my car), always trying to shift, and turning off the car while still in drive. Automatics are for lazy people, no doubt about it.

verboom
03-12-2001, 09:49 PM
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this subject, I do agree that some cars and/or trucks should be auto, like limos, or other luxury cars, but that's only because they were meant to be driven by rich old snots who don't need to have fun while driving. And it would look a bit out of place to have a stick in a limo. But how many of you guys have stomped on the brake in an automatic trying to clutch, after driving a standard? I'll admit it, I did it once, and left black marks. Oops, it was a good thing nobody was behind me...

Samirr76
03-13-2001, 10:06 AM
Many of the fastest drag racers are automoatics, especially those cars which are turbo equipped because they dont lose boost between shifts... I personally have not driven a stick shift on a regular basis, even though I have driven friends cars who have sticks, and i dont feel like im really missing out on alot except doing burnouts by dropping the clutch and i cant do that anyways in my AWD. But hey I have a 5-speed silver WRX on order....I better like it! :-D

Heep
03-13-2001, 09:05 PM
Is that WRX one of the new ones with the circular headlights? And the 220 hp American version or an import?

VTECelude
03-16-2001, 08:59 AM
:D automatic suck, standard all the way!

Ctayes
04-22-2001, 04:59 PM
I agree 100%. The car I drive the most, mother's '94 corolla, is a 3 spd automatic. It is the most useless car ever. It will not even go over 135 kph. Even though I don't normally drive a standard I still try and down shift it thinking it is a stick. A lot of the time though, I have to downshift it manually to get the thing up hills. I hate that car.

Porsche
04-23-2001, 07:03 AM
Ya! Godd to see that most of the 10% of the US population who has a standard is on here. To clarify, it was known as of 2000 that 90% of all new US vehicles were auto. What does that say? I prefer standard over auto and I take my driving test in a few months. Does the Porsche Tiptronic Tranny count as manual? It just has a hydraulic clutch. About the specialized vehilces havving autos, I totally agree. F1 cars with manual? Man that would be asking for trouble.

Griffith 500
04-23-2001, 10:45 AM
Porsche, the TipTronic does not have a hydraulic clutch like the semi-automatic gearbox in the Ferrari 355 and 360 F1. It's a normal automatic transmission with the possibility of manually selecting the gears.

Personally, I also prefer manual gearbox, there's nothing more satisfactory than nice heel/toe action while braking (plus you always get the looks of bystanders :p )

unite@af
04-23-2001, 02:42 PM
It all depends. I like having an auto in my Suburban. Its lifted so it tends to be a pain in the butt to drive around. If you throw in a manual, its just a little more time consuming for me to deal with. It has a 350 so I dont really need more accerlation speed. More torque would be cool though. In some of the big flatbeds that I drive during the summer I hate having them being manuals. A ford 4 speed with a 460 sucks to drive. You really only have 3 and 4 gear for driving. 1st and 2nd are for pulling buildings from their foundations or something.....

When it comes to cars I love manuals. there is no way that I would want anything else. I want to be able to squeeze that extra speed out of the engine and have more control.

It all depends to me.

gang$tarr
04-23-2001, 10:14 PM
All of North America is soooooooooo LAZY!! freakin autos, yuck!! :smoker:

John98R/T
04-29-2001, 09:34 PM
So here is the deal, standard is fun to drive, but automatic is a lot easier if you like to eat in your car, or you are old in age. And dont forget about those certain times stick can be a bitch, like when i was 19 i broke my left ankle and let me tell you trying to drive a stick with a bum ankle sucks ass. Not to mention if you live in a city like San Francisco, where no matter where you stop you are on a steep hill. Autos are good for kids cause they cant tear up a clutch. And for the most part auto's are better on the transmission and have less chance of those parts wearing out, however if you are going to put money into a sports car then by all means get a stick its just the right thing to do.
Peace....
:alien:

gang$tarr
04-30-2001, 04:52 PM
NOOOO!!!!!! Auto is evil!!! in every situation :devil: :devil: :devil:

DIE AUTO! DIIIEEEE!!!:rocket: :aug2: :badass:

kris
05-02-2001, 04:09 AM
NOOOO!!!!!! Auto is evil!!! in every situation :devil: :devil: :devil:

DIE AUTO! DIIIEEEE!!!:rocket: :aug2: :badass:

lol, I guess someone really hates auto's :)

blatch
05-07-2001, 03:47 PM
the reason auto's exist is for people to NOT CARE about their driving and be playing with the cd player, etc.

it's not that us w/o manuals are wimps, it's just that it's easier to drive if you like to do more than one thing.

gang$tarr
05-07-2001, 07:36 PM
no, it's just for lazy people
it's so easy to do more than one thing in a manual, it's not like you're constantly switching gears

verboom
05-07-2001, 09:37 PM
That's what I think. Put your donut down for 2 seconds to shift, stop monkeying with the radio, auto's suck. I've even got my passenger to shift if I'm doing something. And trucks, especially ones that do towing, no matter how powerful, need a stick. Hills suck hind quarters in an auto when you have something clinging to yer @ss.

DVSNCYNIKL
05-07-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by verboom
Here's my beef, I think every single person should LEARN to drive on a standard. I hate it when people complain about not being able to drive certain cars, just because they are not automatic. Automatics are for wimps, and I don't get it, why would anybody pay more for and automatic at a dealer, when they are just depriving themselves of big fun? The first car I ever drove was a 5-speed, and I'll talk the stick anyday. I'll always buy standards, and I think the only people who can justify having an automatic would be a disabled person. For all those who can't drive a standard, GO AND LEARN!

Wimp:confused:
The reason for my choosing automatic is because I live in the city. Bottom line, stick would be a PAIN IN DA ASS TO HAVE!

Now, after working on my car for a while, it seems that when it comes to mods, I will feel and get better results from a stick than an auto.

Now I would prefer a stick. But you need to specify you statements.:finger:

blatch
05-07-2001, 11:08 PM
oh yeah, that too.

gang$tarr
05-11-2001, 04:32 PM
no you're juss lazy, I have a stick i live in a city, i have no problems with it..... lazy bunch a :finger:

ohhh pain in tha ass, goo cry ta your mommy :rolleyes:

johnny
05-12-2001, 11:21 PM
I agree. Why not have everyone learn how to drive manual? You never know, one day it might save your life.

primera man
05-13-2001, 05:40 AM
I think that everyone who learn's to drive should only be allowed to drive a stick while they learn. It gives you a good feel for the car and how to drive it. Makes you think more about what you are doing,instesd of just pointing the car and driving.

How many people who only learn on a auto, then have no idea how to drive a stick correctly.

As for what they like and drive with later....thats up to them.

matt
05-14-2001, 01:17 AM
I see a stick as being more of a masculine fixation. I guess it's due to the fact that we like to have control over anything we can. I do know chicks that drive sticks, but mostly guys. I personally prefer it much more over auto for the control factor. You can upshift or downshift whenever the hell you want. You launch easier (better than tourque braking imo). The self satisfaction of completing a heel-toe downshift, rev-matching, and getting better mpg are great reasons for driving a stick. I think it should be a life skill that everyone should learn. It's very important if you ask me.

It also pisses me off that more cars don't offer manuals. It's crazy that 90% of new american cars are autos. That sucks! Everyone is getting too lazy. The human race will probably die out because everyone gets too lazy and too fat to move so then we just sit around, starve and die. Had the manual transmission been implemented more, maybe we will last longer. :uhoh: Who knows.

YogsVR4
05-14-2001, 01:23 PM
Automatics are great. I have no problem with someone only learning on one of those. Now if we could only get those bastards in Europe and Asia to get on the right side of the road....

verboom
05-14-2001, 01:31 PM
Ack! Get out now! You have poisoned this thread, MY thread with your pussyness! How could you do that to us?!

primera man
05-14-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by YogsVR4
Now if we could only get those bastards in Europe and Asia to get on the right side of the road....

NO NO NO....You guys drive on the wrong side of the road !!!!:finger: :D

Porsche
05-14-2001, 10:03 PM
Technically no. The car was around in NA in mass numbers before it was in Europe. However the reason that people drive on the left side of the road is a long story.

To sum it up, most people in the Middle Ages were right-handed. Therefore when they went to pass somebody on the road, they would have there best hand closest to their sword. There's another rule for if you have an animal with you butI forget the details, I saw that on a discovery Channel show once. Apparently, people weren't as nice back then.

primera man
05-15-2001, 04:12 AM
It what you say is true...i have learnt something new today. :)

i_rebel
05-15-2001, 09:56 AM
I love stick . . . but I can't help but think that I would like to havea a luxo-pimpin' criuse-mobile to drive once in a while that is automatic.

Just for cruisin, and to have that laid back feelin when I'm with my lady . . .

gang$tarr
05-15-2001, 09:08 PM
then you rev your engine huge when you're with your lady, it'll make you seem all bad and tough :D

johnny
05-16-2001, 12:11 AM
hahahha... about the only downside is having to drive stick in Los Angeles traffic. That's the worst!!

gang$tarr
05-16-2001, 03:44 PM
i don't know why people complain soo much about a stick in traffic, i don't think it's that bad in traffic. You juss stay in 1st gear the whole time, it's pretty much the same as auto, just that your left foot is pressing a pedal instead of just sittin there

verboom
05-16-2001, 05:00 PM
That's what I'm sayin', the foot is there, why not use it? And you are stuck in traffic, your killing time anyway.

Porsche
05-16-2001, 07:08 PM
It is true. I think I got it mostly right but you'll have to check or something. Lizard King mentioned something about it in the "Left Side vs: Right Side" thread. I couldn't make up something that believeable.:cool:

Lordrandall
05-19-2001, 12:57 AM
Cripes, drive a stick or just climb into your grave.

verboom
05-23-2001, 05:23 PM
Hey, I think I like this guy! I like his attitude.

Initial D
06-19-2001, 09:31 PM
hmmmmmmm right hand on stick or cute girls thigh
stick----thigh
stick----thigh
hmmm I'll have to give this some more thought:D

koh
06-26-2001, 04:16 PM
yea sticks are the best. but if you are driving a car in la in a traffic jam to work, it would be more reasonable to drive a auto and inch slowly to work. thats what my parents do, but i still think they shoudl learn to drive a stick

YellowMaranello
09-01-2001, 07:43 PM
once you drive stick, you never go back. havent met a single person that can drive stick that would rather drive auto

gang$tarr
09-01-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by YellowMaranello
once you drive stick, you never go back. havent met a single person that can drive stick that would rather drive auto

yup, exactly, it's like a drug... once you learn it and can drive it well, you'll never go back no matter what...

i've drivin in Toronto traffic jams tons of time and didn't mind it... instead of keepin your left foot on the floor of your car you just keep it with your clutch half in and keep it in first... what's so hard about that? you can inch forward that way, all you're basically doing is putting your foot in another place... no problemo

when it's heavy traffic you don't even have to change gears, just keep your hands on the wheel and the gear in first

plus it's not as boring

YellowMaranello
09-02-2001, 09:08 PM
another plus is, you can teach hot girls... and we all know how well that works out :D :D

MercCougarXR7
09-08-2001, 09:39 PM
I uh, have to dissagree with you guys.

I love standard for the fun aspect of it, but it is a PAIN in bumper to bumper traffic - like downtown Toronto. My bro's 5.0 Mustang is very fun with stick, but can be very impractical. My 5.0 Cougar on the otherhand is Auto (I once priced out parts needed to convert to a T5, and it was about $1000). It was boring, until I put in a shift-kit. NOW, this thing is fun :). It is an AOD tranny, and I love using the shifter to control the shifting, especially holding 1st to get a big bark out of the tires when 2nd hits :sun: .

Also, performance wise the Auto WITH a shift kit has faster shifting than a standard. The gears come on instantly (and rather harsh though and under all driving conditions), whereas with a standard their is delay in pressing the clutch, shifting, and depressing the clutch. That, is why I can stay besides my brother in the short race, as his car doesn't put any power down while he is changing gears :).

So, I'd take an Auto WITH a shift kit any day over a stick :cool: .

gang$tarr
09-08-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by MercCougarXR7

Also, performance wise the Auto WITH a shift kit has faster shifting than a standard. The gears come on instantly (and rather harsh though and under all driving conditions), whereas with a standard their is delay in pressing the clutch, shifting, and depressing the clutch. That, is why I can stay besides my brother in the short race, as his car doesn't put any power down while he is changing gears :).

Here's where you're wrong, your bro must be a bad driver cause the only auto/manual that can shift faster than a human is the SMG and the ones in indy and F1 cars (well i'm sure there are a few others) but none in normal cars that you buy.... they all have slower stats than any stick, if i try shifting fast like in a race than i can do it in like a blink of an eye, like 1/2 a second... it's not like you press the clutch in wait, move the stick into gear, then let go and drive, it's not a long process, you just do it in one swift motion

i think you just don't have enough experience with manual cars... you'd know this if you drove one for a long time

^YellowBandit^
09-09-2001, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by YellowMaranello

Shit dude try driving in the Philippines. Once you drive stick there you never wanna go back. That's why I was hesitant to get a stick here in the states after driving stick in Manila for 326426340871018726307634 years :rolleyes:

Jay!
09-09-2001, 02:02 AM
I can say that personally, I will always look to drive a stick over an auto. :)

MercCougarXR7
09-09-2001, 08:22 AM
I uh, still hold to that. UNLESS you have had experience with a shift kit, YOU haven't a clue ;).

I know that stick shifting is not a drawn out process, and it IS relatively quick - this mustang even has some sort of aftermarket shifter with short throws and all. And yet the auto in my Cougar shifts faster. There is no delay/slushyness with that car. Always power going through it. Of course almost all autos WITHOUT any work done to them are WAY slower than a stick shift, but I was talking about modded autos.

And as for driving experience - he takes his car down to the bend (Grand Bend) several times a summer, and he's got a good idea how to make the car tick. I on the other hand am a professional driver :).

But, for the reccord, I'd rather drive a stick any day over most autos (except my Couger :D!). Also, have you guys ever heard of the Bob Boburant (SP?) school of racing? He has a few "CobraVic's" in his squadron, where they use a cobra engine (heads) and a 5 speed manual. Now THAT is something I'd love to put in my Monkey :sun: !

gang$tarr
09-09-2001, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by MercCougarXR7
I uh, still hold to that. UNLESS you have had experience with a shift kit, YOU haven't a clue ;).

I'm talkin about stock auto/manual transmissions such as: geartronic, steptronic, tiptronic... etc. the ones that are on BMWs, Mercedes, Acura, Volvos, etc.

MercCougarXR7
09-09-2001, 08:25 PM
Ah!! Now ThAT changes everything :)! Those new fangled gadgets are neat - I'd love to drive one some day...

Trigger351
09-10-2001, 04:55 AM
I just love to race people at the dragstrip that insist they can drive a stickshift cos I beat them all the time with my auto. I am sure a stickshift is better for road and road racing but unless you spend a fortune on aftermarket manual the guy with the junkjard auto next to you is going to beat you:D

primera man
09-10-2001, 06:41 AM
Yeah its a laugh watching them "smash" there way through there gears as they try and keep up. I would have lost count the amount of people i have seen stuff it up on a drag strip with a stick.
An auto for drag racing is the only way to go....but a stick for town fun !!!

MercCougarXR7
09-10-2001, 05:49 PM
Well yeah - I love driving the Stang around, listening to that sweet exhaust when rowing backwards through the gears to slow for a light. Can't do that with an auto without wreaking something (I proved that with my work truck :D!). I get a kick out of those kind of people too who smash through their gears - can't be good for the syncro's...
Right now, I have a chip being burned for my Marquis, by a guy in Cali. He has taken over for a guy who used to do it, and he was a Ford Tranny engineer. The guy has incorperated alot of tranny features into the chip, such as increased line pressure for quick shifts, and revised shift table. I can't wait till I get it :)! My Chunky Monkey is gonna fly!

92BlackLT-1
09-14-2001, 07:18 PM
With all due respect here is my reply to the constant debates on manual vrs auto's. I drive better with my auto. I have had 3, 4, 5 and 7 speed manuals and when I selected this Corvette I wanted the A-4.

I have had lots of shift cars and now I don't have to do this anymore.

Add your comment to this topic!