Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Protege overheating Need advice

pincheyloveclaw
08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
The Brother-in-law likes to run his car into the ground. He Hasn't done much normal maintenance on it, and I think he doesn't really tell me the whole truth because he is embarassed how bad he has let things go. Anyway here goes, yesterday I get the call that he has broken down near where I work. Turns out Overheated! So he is instructed on how to watch temp and limp back to his parents house (closest place to go) and wait for me. I initially assumed it was a T-stat, but told him to pick up a radiator flush kit as well. Changed the T-stat, no problem but also noticed fluid leaking from the belt area (initial thought was Water pump...but wait). Fluid is not antifreeze but steering fluid from the power steering comp. and what's this sticking out of the pully-a piece of belt, belt is verry worn-definately needs replacement. The other belt (the one for the alternator and (at the time no jack so just guessing) water pump was broken right in half!

So, I ask, "did you get a battery light along with the check engine and temp?" "Well as a matter of Fact...". 'There you have it' I thought, and I sent him for a new set of belts and some steering fluid-for what little good it'll do at this point (a warning for those of you who like to let those belts go).

Replaced those belts and it's getting late, I was on my way... but then I get the call. He's overheating again. So I go back and pick him up and take him home. Never got around to that radiator flush. However, Should I suspect the water pump? It did not appear to be leaking, however due to the lack of jacking equipment and the steering fluid everywhere, I am left to wonder. I also noticed that the Water resevoir did not seem to drain into the radiator as quickly as I expected. There is also the fact that when running the heat no hot air comes out- so fluid must not be moving. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll do the flush, but due to the work involved in water pump replacement, I'm off the case at that point- I could do it, but it's just not my car.

acsipresident
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Your brother-in-law sounds like a few friends of mine. When the squealing is louder than their music "something must be wrong"..ughhh. Anyway, the cooling system components are pretty basic. If you changed the t-stat, that only leaves the pump, fans and radiator. I can't imagine that the heater core is causing this. I'd flush the system making sure that water flows through the radiator and that all the hoses are clear. Unless the new thermostat is bad or incorrectly installed what else could it be...Water Pump!!!!. Sounds like this guy needs a bit of work done so he should probably have the timing belt replaced and while they are at it change the water pump....and maybe the Power Steering Pump. I had this done to my 2003 two years ago and it ran me $600.00. This was on a 2.0l engine.

Flash75
08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Has someone checked to see if the cooling fan comes on when the car gets too hot? It has a sensor, relay and motor that could be bad. Water pumps may leak but they rarely cause overheating.

pincheyloveclaw
08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Thank's for the advice acsipresident your little afterthought, turned out to be the whole problem. I really had myself scrathing my head because I too know how simple this system is. I went back and did the flush, and jacked the car to satisfy myself that it was not the water pump (all the while bobbing and weaving my head about drips of GD steering fluid!). And Still no luck. Finally I took a good look at the engine while running and found it. Who woudda thought that all that steering fluid would cause the belt to slip so bad that the pump wouldn't run! My coworker- the fluids engineer- is really gonna give me the V8 if he hears that one.

Add your comment to this topic!