Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 windstar misfire

kilrick
08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a misfire in cylinder 2 on my 2000 windstar,
I have read some of the post on here but I’m not sure I
Understand .is there a way to check to see if the
EGR holes under the intake cover are clogged without
Taking the intake apart?
I just changed my EGR value.
I have 90k miles and the manufacture plugs and wires on still on it.
So could that be the problem?

Thanks.

garync1
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
With it being a 2000 with 90,000 miles I would go ahead with the replacement of plugs go with Autolight double plat.they are same as motorcraft double platium
And cheaper to. You might want to pull the cowl off or go under the van to get to the back 3 plugs. As for the wires I am still on original wires will replace them soon. Mine is a 2001. with 101,000+ miles. Your coil pack may soon go. watch for a blinking engine light. 55.00 for one at Advanced Auto..As for the EGR ports you will have to pull the intake off upper and lower. I cleaned mine when I did my 171-174 TSB. They were not that bad though...When doing the plugs just remember to check the GAP setting use the wire type feeler gauge to check for gap.Not the round type all in one gizmo..Only a few bucks more.. hope this helps.

kilrick
08-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice; you said watch for the blinking engine light.
Well in between post my CEL started blinking,
Can someone tell me what that means?
This is on a 2000 ford windstar.

Thanks

96wWindstar180K
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
kilrick
It means its misfiring. When the light goes on to begin with it means it has misfired and sometimes will go out if it doesnt do it again for a number of drive cycles. A flashing means its misfiring often. You should identify the problem and fix it before you end up getting gas in the oil or converter. Have the codes read and post back findings. You can have them read at Autozone for free.

wiswind
09-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Misfire is a common symptom of clogged EGR ports.
I would get the codes read FIRST.....EGR issue is usually cylinders 3 or 4.
If it is doing it regularly, you can to this TEMPORARY test, disconnect the vaccum line that goes to the TOP of the EGR vavle.....and plug it.
Take the van for a drive, if you get the misfire, then it is no being caused by the EGR ports.
If the problem does not happen, then the problem is clogged EGR ports.
THIS WILL CAUSE A CEL with code(s) relative to low/no EGR flow, as you have disabled the EGR valve from opening.

One cheap thing to add to your tune-up list is a can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool fuel system cleaner.
This will give the injectors a cleaning......and is a solvent based cleaner that is as close to professional strenght as you can get.

I would also change the fuel filter.....and the PCV vavle (Get a Motorcraft for the PCV).

That all said.....check the sticky post at the top of the Windstar forum and see if this has been done on your vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!