Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine cut out at 40mph

TacoMontana
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
4wd
automatic
2.7L

This happened the first time about 10months ago and only once again yesterday, almost the exact same scenario when the engine cut out:

Driving on the interstate in CA (airtemp 70s) at 70-80mph for a couple hours, then hit slower traffic and slow down to 30-40mph. Then cruise with traffic for a bit until I hit a medium grade climb at 30mph. Engine then cuts outs at 30-40mph, every light on my dash comes one and car coasts to a stop. I then shift out of D and into P. Let car sit 60-120sec, turn the key and it fires up like nothing happened and drives fine for 10months! It also makes me wish I had a manual, because I could pop the clutch and restart it rather then coming to a stop in the middle lane of I-80 :rolleyes:

Immediately after restarted I got to safety and checked oil level, temp, coolant, battery connections, etc all seemed fine to my visual inspection. Car made it home 20 more miles at 60mph running like a champ.

What are people thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Josh

Tacomatic
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
with all your dashlights coming on before it dies,it sounds like maybe you have a weak connection to your ECM (motor brain). you might be able to get some details on where/how to look here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=443710&page=2&highlight=tacoma+manual).

TcmaBoy
08-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Hart to say what it could be.

Is your check engine light on?

TacoMontana
08-29-2007, 12:33 AM
nope, all systems say go

have an appointment with the shop tomorrow, hopefully tomorrow I can post the conclusion.

Cheers,

Josh

Flash75
08-29-2007, 05:34 AM
If it's running OK now the shop will probably not find the problem. You said after waiting 60-120 seconds after stopping it will start again. Did you try starting it while you were waiting? Before the 60-120 seconds does the starter turn the engine over or is there no starter action? Describe exactly what you did and heard while waiting. Do you get the dash lights immediately after the engine begins to die or do they come on later as the speed slows down? Immediate lights on would probably indicate an ignition problem. Dash lights on later may point to a fuel supply problem. More information to us or your shop will help.

You can move an automatic transmission to neutral (NOT PARK, that would lock your steering) and try starting it with the key while still moving.

Clifton

TacoMontana
08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I just got off the phone with my dad who's handy with this stuff, this was
his thoughts, let me know if this makes sense and how I can diagnose/solve the problem. He thinks its a combination of the
transmission lagging from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd, so the fuel pump
is slows itself to the RPMs but since the engine isn't down shifting
its not enough fuel to keep it going and it stalls the engine. I
thought this seemed like a good explanation. He thought it might
happen more often then I think, but since I was going uphill the
engine couldn't turn itself over to restart on its own due to the lack
of momentum and too high of a gear going uphill.

TcmaBoy
08-29-2007, 04:08 PM
The fuel pump is not linked to the trans. The fuel pump just keeps on pumping. The fuel pressure regulator keeps the pressure in the rail constant.

Does this only happen when going up hill, or maybe hauling a load?

mattshoe
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
My engine cuts out, but all electrical as well. The whole electrical and engine goes dead. Then trying to start, I get no power at all. So I disconnect the battery and reconnect it; and then the power is on again and I can start it up. It sputters some at first, but then it runs ok for a week until it dies again, and I do the same to get it going.
Weird or what? Any suggestions about what's the problem and how to fix it??

TacoMontana
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
the only times its happen was going up light hills, with no load. The Toyota service people couldn't figure it out either....hopefully it won't happen again.

also, there is a small crack in the manifold, could that be part of the problem?

TcmaBoy
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Intake or exhaust manifold?

TcmaBoy
09-01-2007, 01:43 PM
My engine cuts out, but all electrical as well. The whole electrical and engine goes dead. Then trying to start, I get no power at all. So I disconnect the battery and reconnect it; and then the power is on again and I can start it up. It sputters some at first, but then it runs ok for a week until it dies again, and I do the same to get it going.
Weird or what? Any suggestions about what's the problem and how to fix it??

When was the last time you replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals?

TacoMontana
09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
exhuast i believe (sometimes i can smell it), but it could be intake

Add your comment to this topic!