Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 Intermittant key removal problem, 50/50...

mike2004tct
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
My key will not turn all the way back to the steering wheel lock position, and thus will not come out. What I usually have to do to get it out is turn the key to on, shift from park to any other position, then back to park and turn ignition off. Sometimes I'll have to do it 3 or more times to get the key out, other times just once, and still other times no problem at all.

Happens about 50% of the time nowadays.

I have a floor/console shifter.
I remember reading a few years back about this, and someone posted about replacing a switch in the console. Can't find that post.

Found another thread were someone said they removed the receiver from the steering column. What receiver? That little plastic connector that sits on top of the switch cylinder with two wires on it? (This connector/sensor/switch is part of the ignition switch wire harness)

So, anybody got switch p/ns. I searched Advance/Autozone and couldn't find anything related to the key switch/console.

mike2004tct
08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Found the post I was searching for and mentioned above.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=650291&highlight=park+position

I'll take a look at it tonight, or may have to wait til the weekend (depends if the wife gets the truck home before I leave for work).

The solutions I may be looking for is on page 2 of the thread.

jeanguenat
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
This happened on my 97 also. There is a solenoid valve in the steering column - that was the culprit for me. It has a two wire connector and one mounting screw. I just removed it and taped the wires. (Now I can remove the key even when not in park). The part was too expensive for me to replace. The number stamped on the part is 26046984 2267.

I found the instructions on how to remove it on this forum somewhere.

Jeff

mike2004tct
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
This happened on my 97 also. There is a solenoid valve in the steering column - that was the culprit for me. It has a two wire connector and one mounting screw. I just removed it and taped the wires. (Now I can remove the key even when not in park). The part was too expensive for me to replace. The number stamped on the part is 26046984 2267.

I found the instructions on how to remove it on this forum somewhere.

Jeff

Probably my problem also.
I had the shifter boot off, and looked at the Park actuator button. Sprayed it with WD40, but it was working properly anyway.
Key still won't turn all the way back about 50%.

Tried removing the rubber boot under the key switch, and didn't see any lever mentioned in the above link. All I can see is the Ignition switch box.

So, I'll remove the steering wheel covers this weekend and look for the solenoid.

Do you know if the wire colors were green and yellow?
I don't know what the little plastic piece is that have these wires, but it attaches to the top of the key cylinder, and is part of the ignition switch harness. It's a 1/4 twist-in plastic piece, about 1/2 inch square.

jeanguenat
08-27-2007, 06:15 PM
One wire is green and white, the other is black. I cannot remember what people called this piece, but it is the white plastic piece (about three inches long with a metal solenoid in it) behind the ignition switch, under the steering wheel column top cover. It has a little pin that goes in to the key lock cylinder. The pin gets stuck in the 'out' position and keeps the key from coming out.

mike2004tct
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
One wire is green and white, the other is black. I cannot remember what people called this piece, but it is the white plastic piece (about three inches long with a metal solenoid in it) behind the ignition switch, under the steering wheel column top cover. It has a little pin that goes in to the key lock cylinder. The pin gets stuck in the 'out' position and keeps the key from coming out.

Alright, thanks.
I'll look at it this weekend.

Good luck on your distributor problem.

mike2004tct
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, I got the part out today. Took about 15 minutes. p/n is 26046984 9116. Last 4 digits must be a date code. GMpartsdirect lists this as a lock, $32.00. I'll probably order one, as the dealer price is $53.00.

It's the solenoid, as the switch on the shifter is working properly (can hear it click with key turns). I was holding the solenoid in my hand as I turned the key, listening to the clicks, sometimes the solenoid worked, other times it didn't.

Just hope my wife remembers to put the thing in park before shutting it off.
(she's been known to do that). I can now turn the key all the way back to off while it's in drive, and remove the key. Not good for Mrs. Preoccupied-with-something-else.
:grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!