Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drivers Window Sluggish or Gets Stuck Half Way Up

Uncle1957
08-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi:

My drivers side window slows or gets stuck half way up. If I grab the window and pull up as the motor is running it will make it past. Sometimes it slows then makes it past on its own.

Does that sound like a bad regulator or a weak motor?

Gord

rkvons
08-28-2007, 08:15 AM
I've had to tear into my driver's side door a couple of years ago. The window rides in a track and is pushed up by the motor lifting an arm that the window is attached to. The problem I found with mine is that the front part of the track(not adjustable) is bent from the stress and is towards the front of the vehicle. When the window is made to go up, it shifts forward in this slop and gets stuck. If you notice the top of the window towards the rear of the vehicle coming away from the track as you are raising it, you probably have the same problem. Grab the top of the window and hold it towards the rear of the vehicle as you raise it and it goes up nicely. The only way I know of to fix it is to bend the metal back inside the door, but then it will be weaker and will most likely just bend back. If someone, (a kid) ran up and jumped up and hung their weight on the window when it was partially up, it would bend the front guide and mess things up. Or maybe it just from use. If you don't have the problems as described above, you can probably open up the door and grease the moving parts and get another couple of years out of it.

Uncle1957
08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I will take a look in mine. If the track bent you could put a shim under it straightening it. I did that with my old Lincoln TC.

Thanks for the advise..

Gord

I've had to tear into my driver's side door a couple of years ago. The window rides in a track and is pushed up by the motor lifting an arm that the window is attached to. The problem I found with mine is that the front part of the track(not adjustable) is bent from the stress and is towards the front of the vehicle. When the window is made to go up, it shifts forward in this slop and gets stuck. If you notice the top of the window towards the rear of the vehicle coming away from the track as you are raising it, you probably have the same problem. Grab the top of the window and hold it towards the rear of the vehicle as you raise it and it goes up nicely. The only way I know of to fix it is to bend the metal back inside the door, but then it will be weaker and will most likely just bend back. If someone, (a kid) ran up and jumped up and hung their weight on the window when it was partially up, it would bend the front guide and mess things up. Or maybe it just from use. If you don't have the problems as described above, you can probably open up the door and grease the moving parts and get another couple of years out of it.

sirjonas
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
did you get the window fixed? was it a bent track as i have the same problem with mine. although it got noticably better after i removed the window to tint it and then put it back in.

Uncle1957
08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
No not yet. Saw an old post advising to lower window and empty a can of silicoln lubricant split between the two tracks am going to try that before disassembling the door.

Will keep you posted.

Gord

did you get the window fixed? was it a bent track as i have the same problem with mine. although it got noticably better after i removed the window to tint it and then put it back in.

sirjonas
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
ok thanks

Uncle1957
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
The Silicoln Lube did the trick.

Will the window all the way down spray liberally down in the rear track. Raise the window half way repeat in the front track. It has worked flawless for 3 days now.

Gord
ok thanks

sirjonas
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
ok i may have to try that. What brand of spray did you use?

Uncle1957
08-30-2007, 11:10 PM
It is Auto Sense Brand.....

But probably any good Silicoln Lubricant Spray will work.

Gord

ok i may have to try that. What brand of spray did you use?

sirjonas
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
What tracks did you use the lube on? the ones that the actual window rides on or the plastic ones that the rollars roll on?

Uncle1957
09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I lowered the window and let loose on either side. But I would do both. It has been a couple weeks at least window is still smooth as silk in it's movement.

Gord
What tracks did you use the lube on? the ones that the actual window rides on or the plastic ones that the rollars roll on?

SteveinBelo
07-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I used graphite spray in the window tracks and it worked great. I had this problem on two windows and had disassembled one door panel but the spray worked great on both. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!